10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2012
Good job. There is a good clip of Pirates-McCutchen towards the end of BatDragon's thread - it is a rear view/slow motion - watch his top hand real close. May be helpful for you and your daughter - you can see the top hand pull up/away from bottom hand. Then focus on his top hand wrist and forearm orientation as he moves back toward contact. Its visible with Manny Ramirez too in some clips. Since you are a get up and swing it kind of dad - get a wood bat and play around with emulating McCutchens hand action

Personally I like her sequence in the game swing, it seems correct to me plus its tighter and snappy - just needs some guidance regarding hand action. Have fun!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is the hand-action template I had her look at yesterday...
MigCage_zps9quclusr.gif

After watching it for a while, she said, "His hands turn in the same place". Yes! She found the words to describe it that made sense to her. "Pivot" and "swivel" weren't getting me anywhere - LOL. She obviously hasn't been able to replicate the action yet, but I think the path in her own head became a little clearer.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's another swing from yesterday's session where she FINALLY gives it a max effort...

I'd like to see her swing with this effort a lot more often. Like ALL THE TIME!!!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
MigCage_zps9quclusr.gif

After watching it for a while, she said, "His hands turn in the same place". Yes! She found the words to describe it that made sense to her. "Pivot" and "swivel" weren't getting me anywhere - LOL. She obviously hasn't been able to replicate the action yet, but I think the path in her own head became a little clearer.

Eric
Do you think hitters hands can turn in the same plane without even thinking about it? I personally have never used that cue.
Not saying good or bad, just never used it

SL

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric
Do you think hitters hands can turn in the same plane without even thinking about it? I personally have never used that cue.
Not saying good or bad, just never used it

SL

"Hands turn in the same place" (not plane) wasn't a cue from me. It was Maddie's interpretation of what she was seeing in the Mig clip. I thought it was a great way for a 10yo to describe it in a way that makes sense in her own head.

Brooke does a pretty good job of it, too...
br2_slow_zpsnmsrmcht.gif

It's not a rigid, fixed-in-space kind of "same place". It's more about the relationship of the HPP with the rear shoulder. Then again, you're not much of an HPP kind of guy (as I understand your approach to the swing, anyway).

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for all the kinds words, guys! She's seeing (some of) the difference, too. :)

I'm seeing an improvement in her ability to get the bat moving behind her shoulder, instead of being beside her. This is getting things in place to where the hip can start pulling the hands instead of the hands/hips pushing. I'm seeing the hands still getting started a little bit early, before her stride is down. Delaying the hands will allow the rag to wring tighter, and get her more in line with Brooke's pattern.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
"Hands turn in the same place" (not plane) wasn't a cue from me. It was Maddie's interpretation of what she was seeing in the Mig clip. I thought it was a great way for a 10yo to describe it in a way that makes sense in her own head.

Brooke does a pretty good job of it, too...
br2_slow_zpsnmsrmcht.gif

It's not a rigid, fixed-in-space kind of "same place". It's more about the relationship of the HPP with the rear shoulder. Then again, you're not much of an HPP kind of guy (as I understand your approach to the swing, anyway).

Maddie-021015fast_zps7d00lu4s.gif

Same place... Makes more sense, sorry misread it. I like her swing. I believe she would hit it harder if she stood the bat up taller before she let it go.
Instead of hitting across the ball a taller bat will make her hit more north and south....

SL

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
MigCage_zps9quclusr.gif

In my swing image the hands do start turning in the same place, while moving from the result of staying connected, (shoulder /torso rotation)
Sorry if I offend anyone, but it can be a good teaching point.

the hands can start moving away from the connection spot at any given time, as a result of pitch location,( which I like to think of as pre contact extension).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877