10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
rear hip IR's as pelvis/acetabulum turns back over weight bearing rear leg (closed chain acetabulofemoral IR/AFIR) then stays in IR via upper body pullbacks/hip as bottom of top as rear leg/femur turns forward. main change at rear hip joint (acetabulum/femur motion) at this point (while handle turns between hands/) is extension while remaining in IR (overlap).

pelvis turns forward, rear hip stays "closed" (in IR)

ER/"opening" of rear hip is bleed.

Is rear hip Extension "rotation" ?

The comment here is that “good hip rotation has an element of hip extension!”.

Hip Extension and Rotation in the Baseball Swing | Eric Cressey | High Performance Training, Personal Training

May 3, 2014
rear hip IR's as pelvis/acetabulum turns back over weight bearing rear leg (closed chain acetabulofemoral IR/AFIR) then stays in IR via upper body pullbacks/hip as bottom of top as rear leg/femur turns forward. main change at rear hip joint (acetabulum/femur motion) at this point (while handle turns between hands/) is extension while remaining in IR (overlap).

In which direction?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

My view of the swing is in shambles this morning. I used to think resisting the turning hips, (rag wring)(load in the unload) then firing your core, would work just fine.

Now I see that SNF, rear hip extension, which I view as hip thrust, is very important.

This stuff is much deeper than "coil forward".

Is hip thrust, hip extension, hip rotation?

If you hold your coil during the extension, your poor hip joint. So IR while you thrust seams counterproductive.

Sorry for being all over the place.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal

I'm having a little trouble with this now. I've been thinking about it today (almost got a line drive to the head), and am wondering about the point you say rear hip extension is occurring. When the rear hip moves back away form the plate, and around towards the pitcher in the pivot (front leg kick), the femur goes back with it; right? That's not really flexion or true hip rotation though; right? Isn't the hip already flexed at address? So when the rear hip comes back around and forward while the IR leg pulls (spinal axis?), it isn't really hip extension; is it? Isn't the actual hip extension happening after the ball is hit when the heel moves backwards?

Eric, feel free to post Maddie's swings in this thread. ;)

AdGonz_side.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First game of the spring rec season for Maddie...

1st AB: Empty bases. First pitch swinging. She topped the ball and it bounced slowly back to the pitcher, who threw the ball into the feet of 1B. E1. Runner safe.

2nd AB: Bases loaded. First pitch swinging. Line drive double past CF. 3 RBI.

3rd AB: Runner on 3B. 3-1 count. Line drive single to CF.

I have never seen the ball come off her bat in a game as hard as it did yesterday. Granted, the pitching she's currently facing is pretty mediocre compared with what she saw during the Fall, but her bat speed and suddenness is the best I've seen. This season is about getting lots of success, and building leadership skills.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
First game of the spring rec season for Maddie...

1st AB: Empty bases. First pitch swinging. She topped the ball and it bounced slowly back to the pitcher, who threw the ball into the feet of 1B. E1. Runner safe.

2nd AB: Bases loaded. First pitch swinging. Line drive double past CF. 3 RBI.

3rd AB: Runner on 3B. 3-1 count. Line drive single to CF.

I have never seen the ball come off her bat in a game as hard as it did yesterday. Granted, the pitching she's currently facing is pretty mediocre compared with what she saw during the Fall, but her bat speed and suddenness is the best I've seen. This season is about getting lots of success, and building leadership skills.

That's awesome Eric!! I wouldn't worry about the pitching. As I am sure you know, the mental part of this game is even more important than the physical part. Nothing wrong with building a little confidence before she faces the tougher pitchers. Great job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1