10U TB and #3/4 Pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
PS - We were also very lucky that we were on a TB team that had the goal of getting better by playing against better competition. We did not win many trophies when we were younger, but we pushed our girls to improve. I will never forget when we played in one 10U tournament, and we got put in the losers bracket early and had to win 4 games to get to the championship. We won all 4 games by the thinnest of margins and made it to the championship against one of the best 10U teams in GA from one of the marquee organizations. We lost the championship game 0-7 and at the trophy ceremony our girls were partying like rockstars, while the other team was kind of "meh" because it was probably their 6th or 7th tournament victory.....kind of reminded me of the "Bad News Bears" when the Yankees won the championship, but the Bears were pouring champagne and beer on each other!

Sounds like you were one of the weird ones that stayed with the same organization from 10U through to the end?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sounds like you were one of the weird ones that stayed with the same organization from 10U through to the end?

We started out as a 10U Church league REC All Star team thru first year 14U. Second year 14U our team joined a Tier 2 organization, where we stayed through first year 16U. Second year 16U DD made the jump to one of the marquee teams for more recruiting exposure to D1 programs. Now that DD is verballed she went back to one of the smaller organizations. She did not like being a "pitch and sit" on a marquee team with 4 pitchers. She likes to bat and play 1B when she can.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have to disagree with those who say circle time is paramount at 10U or any age. Pitching in games will hone their skills, but most of the development comes from practice. I wouldn't suggest seeking out a #3 or #4 spot, but don't panic if the kid is only pitching 1-2 gams a week. That's more than enough innings to improve if they're working with a good PC.

I agree that 90% of the development of a pitcher is done during practice, but the 10% that is game time is what motivates most pitchers to work hard in practice. Every weekend we played we came away with an emphasis to practice during the week.

Feb 7, 2013
Now that DD is verballed she went back to one of the smaller organizations. She did not like being a "pitch and sit" on a marquee team with 4 pitchers. She likes to bat and play 1B when she can.

Any concern that the college that she verballed with would have a problem with her moving down to a smaller organization, possibly playing in lesser tournaments, against lesser teams? Maybe I am paranoid, but until they sign the NLI, nothing is binding and the college recruiters may still be evaluating the players throughout their HS year(s).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Any concern that the college that she verballed with would have a problem with her moving down to a smaller organization, possibly playing in lesser tournaments, against lesser teams? Maybe I am paranoid, but until they sign the NLI, nothing is binding and the college recruiters may still be evaluating the players throughout their HS year(s).

DD did check with her future college coach before we made the move, and the Tier 2 team we joined is pretty darn good and will give the marquee teams a run for their money. Remember the best way for a pitcher to improve is to pitch against better hitters, not to play with them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06