10U Pitching Confidence Builders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
I have trolled these forums for many months finding great advice.

I have one challenge that continues to plague my youngest girls.

In practice, the shop, off season, and even during an occassional inning I have 3 pitchers with good speed and control. I have seen them shut down teams only to walk everyone the next inning.

Who has the holy grail answer for me.

My 12u club has no issues pitching ability or confidence so what am I not transfering to my younger girls?

Feb 3, 2011
I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but you've got to understand that the progression you're watching isn't something that happens overnight. What works for 12u doesn't necessarily work for 10u. While there are 10u pitchers out there who are every bit as steady as their older sisters in 12u, the majority of 12u TB pitchers are more consistent than the majority of 10u TB pitchers. That's just a reality that you have to accept.

Having 3 pitchers who can get the job done puts you WAY ahead of most of the teams you're likely to face in 10u as it gives you the ability to swap in a reliable backup if 1 of them gets into trouble. That's a luxury most teams do not have. Don't sweat it, just keep encouraging those young girls to focus on their job and they'll be fine. :)

Apr 9, 2012
Thank you. I wish we could string a couple innings together lol.

Being male I admit I do not understand the female emotions at this age. What types of things can make or break the confidence of a 10U pitcher?

What do other coaches do to build and maintain the confidence of younger pitchers?

I played competitive golf from high school through college and one thing that helps most golfers are the swing thoughts or keys. It is usually one thing for that round, and it is always something different for each round. Some thoughts might work one round and then you have to go to something else the next.

You can't give them too many thoughts at one time. Here are some I tell my daughter (10U):

1. Sometimes she will fall behind in the count 3-0, and I simple say "come back and get her now". Over half the time she will wind up striking the girl out because she knows she can and has done it in the past.
2. Longer follow through.
3. be nice and smooth
4. have a good rhythm
5. sometimes just reminding them where the play is or defensive situations will take their mind off just enough to get them back on track.
6. stay balanced.
7. keep the top half relaxed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One thing that you need to remember is that one "atta girl" does more than saying anything negative. Also, if you make one little girl mad at you, you have the whole team mad at you.

Mike Candrea said something about a boy has to play good to feel good and a girl has to feel good to play good.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I tell mine to focus on the catcher and tune out all others. Like putting sight binders on a horse, tunnel vision. I call a time out sometimes when one gets in a little slump, tell a little joke, get the infielders to boost her confidence. I never call time and walk out there with my veins poking out the side of my neck, always a smile.

Girls (little women) are complex individuals.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ten year olds can be pretty sensitive. They haven't built up the armor yet that lets them handle difficulty, criticism, and the blatant stupidity of others. So you have to be careful with what you say and how you say it to them.

I think last week's rant or one of my blog posts covered this, but I have a 10U pitching student who got rattled at her team's practice. She's pretty good for a 10U pitcher, so I'm guessing her teammates were a little intimidated to hit against her. A well-meaning dad helper started trying to reassure the girls they could hit her by saying things like "She's not so great" and "You can hit that changeup." Her dad told me the pitcher heard it and went into meltdown mode; she had trouble throwing strikes after that. Her confidence was shaken despite the performance she'd been having up until that time. And shaking up your own team's best pitcher is not exactly a formula for success.

It really helps to remain positive. It also helps to remember, as I've said many times, that kids are not short adults. They don't handle adversity the same way we do.

If you want to get an idea of what it's like to be a 10U pitcher, let's presume you don't know how to juggle. Have someone show you how, and practice for a week. Then juggle in front of a group of people you don't know very well, and have several of them offer you brilliant advice such as "Be sure to catch the ball before you toss it" or "Don't drop any." If you do drop one, have someone get mad at you or hang their heads as if you're an idiot. Have someone else say "We don't go home until Joe/Jo juggles successfully for five minutes," so that all the pressure is on you. And just for fun, try juggling 16 inch softballs, because for some of those 10U pitchers that's what an 11 inch ball feels like to them.

It ain't easy. Be patient. No one goes out on the field with the intention of screwing up. It just happens.

Jul 14, 2008
Ken, if you don't mind my asking......What does the PGSA stand for in your screen name?

Thank you. I wish we could string a couple innings together lol.

Being male I admit I do not understand the female emotions at this age. What types of things can make or break the confidence of a 10U pitcher?

What do other coaches do to build and maintain the confidence of younger pitchers?

Jul 14, 2008
Screwball........You and I may have our differences on the technical aspects of pitching........But this post is OUTSTANDING IMO........

Be positive. Be patient. The teaching in coaching training today is to NOT differentiate girls from boys. That is stereotyping. What is good teaching for kids is good teaching for kids. The difference is that what was used in the past era, that is yelling screaming, punishing, not allowing water breaks, belittling, pushing extremely beyond physical limits, etc. (ie, associated with male "tough" stereotype) is just not the method today for any kid. Get the ASA instructional video for coaching.

I object to all this 'women girls are more complex.' That is BS and assumes that old male stereotype is the ideal and girls are somehow a pain in the A--. That puts the onus on the girls as if something is wrong with them (nothing is) and the onus should be on the coach to simply be a human being and understand the coaches need the training (and not because the audience is female).

It is no longer that old way, and boys bawl like babies at the LL world series when they lose.

Learning any skill takes time and same with pitching underhand. I am not sure why you just can't let the kids learn and make mistakes. It is 10u.

I personally find that young females are MORE receptive, and easier to give "magic feathers" to then boys........They seem to react better/quicker to positive feed back IMO.........It's easier IMO to instill confidence in females then males IMO........And they don't turn that confindence into cockyness........They just turn that confidence into beautiful smiles.......

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
A beginning pitcher's confidence level is instilled in them by their instructor. The student must walk away from the session KNOWING they are a better pitcher than when they walked in the door. That is where their confidence stems from,, it is exuded by the instructor. The instructor must send them into their next game KNOWING they will defeat the batters they face.

Every pitcher must have an arsenal and the instructor provides the weapons and the ammunition.

If they do not, they are a poor excuse for an instructor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah