10u PGF pitcher speed OMG

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I wonder how many standout 10U/12U pitchers become just another decent pitcher by 16/18U or switch to other positions. In my area, we have a high-level D1 verbal commit and another starting SEC D1 next year. I will be interested to see how they do.

Jun 12, 2015
I wonder how many standout 10U/12U pitchers become just another decent pitcher by 16/18U or switch to other positions. In my area, we have a high-level D1 verbal commit and another starting SEC D1 next year. I will be interested to see how they do.

I've noticed that these kids who have a lot of speed and are used to striking everyone out often seem to fall apart when they get runners on. With the extra 5' it's more of a hitter's game. Seems like a pretty big handicap.

Nov 15, 2016
She also has a wicked changeup. But didn't need it yesterday much. Gave up one hit to the best 10u team I have seen who also has a girl throwing 57/58. Was a tight game with 3 total hits the whole game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2016
She is a monster I would say 5 foot 8 and about 150 horrible at judging weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

This situation is the same as with any prodigy.

A prodigy is child who can perform a task usually only performed by adults. There are kids who can play piano concertos or do calculus at 7.

However, being a prodigy does not mean the child will be substantially when she becomes an adult. Being a prodigy does not indicate the future potential of a child. It indicates the minimum achievement level of the child. And, while that achievement level is great for a child, it isn't when she becomes an adult.

Take this kid...she throws 60MPH, which is incredibly fast for 10U. But, 60MPH isn't fast for an 18U pitcher, and certainly not for college. Will she become faster? Probably...but there is no guarantee she will hit 70 MPH. Will she develop a breaking pitch? Will she develop control?

So, I hope she develops into a great pitcher...but, there are no guarantees.

Mar 8, 2017
It's staggering the amount of elite athletes that come out of Orange County. I'm 43yo and thinking back to one of my LL teams, one kid ended up getting drafted as a middle linebacker, I ended up with a full ride wrestling scholarship, but unimpressed one other kid achieved far greater success. His name was Shawn Green and I still remember screaming, when as an LA Dodger, he hit his 4th home run in one game.

I certainly believe your info. We live an hour away and the talent here is also impressive. Maybe one day parents will be saying that about my DD, but as long as she's having fun and making happy memories, my job is fulfilled.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

At the younger ages, the kids who develop physically quicker have a huge advantage. However there are kids who develop early who are also gifted enough to continue to get better and also continue to grow... I played against this guy in LL
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/levraal01.shtml

He threw a legit 80 mph at 12 years old and was probably 5'9. I also played with him in Legion 4 or 5 years later and he was 6'3" and threw mid 90's. I didn't have to do much at SS when he was pitching :p

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
If I were to make predictions based off of what I read in this thread - this kid is going to be good for a long time, if she stays interested in developing.

Even if she is a big kid I bet she has got some pretty good mechanics to throw that hard. Also, if she has a "wicked changeup" then she probably has coaches that are looking into the long term. You don't need a change up if you throw 60 at 10u but will at 14u. Hopefully they are also going to teach her a "wicked" movement pitch or two.

At the very least I bet she'll be successful next year. Even with the extra 5 feet throwing 60 in 12u is still impressive.

Feb 7, 2013

When I look back at the fastest pitchers DD has faced over the years at 8U (47mph), 10U (56mph) 12U (59mph), 14U (62 mph) these pitchers are going to Stanford, D1, Arizona, and Arizona State, in that order.

These pitchers were not just a little faster than everyone else, but dominate against top travel ball teams. The elite pitchers continue to get better and better each year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad