10u Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Some video of 10yr daughter. Comments on things to work on during off season....we already know we need to work on keeping hands together. Thanks in advance.

[video=youtube_share;DTHpKqkrgD0]http://youtu.be/DTHpKqkrgD0[/video]

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
YaY!! Someone else with a lefty!

Just a couple simple things I see to work on:

1. Her stride leg needs to start on the pitching plate. She looks like she's loading on that leg which will cause problems if not addressed (not to mention it is illegal).

2. You could work on external rotation on the downswing. Ideally, the ball should be facing the sky to maximize I/R at release. Boardmember's thread "I/R in the Classroom" has some great drills for developing this skill.

2. Keep an eye on how her stride foot lands. My DD has similar mechanics and she suffered a minor ankle sprain at 10U from rolling over when she planted in a position that was too open. Have her try to hit 45 degrees (but no more).

Anyway, I think she looks great, keep us posted on how she does next spring!

YaY!! Someone else with a lefty!

Just a couple simple things I see to work on:

1. Her stride leg needs to start on the pitching plate. She looks like she's loading on that leg which will cause problems if not addressed (not to mention it is illegal).

2. You could work on external rotation on the downswing. Ideally, the ball should be facing the sky to maximize I/R at release. Boardmember's thread "I/R in the Classroom" has some great drills for developing this skill.

2. Keep an eye on how her stride foot lands. My DD has similar mechanics and she suffered a minor ankle sprain at 10U from rolling over when she planted in a position that was too open. Have her try to hit 45 degrees (but no more).

Anyway, I think she looks great, keep us posted on how she does next spring!

Thanks so much.....2-3 are things we are working on as well as keeping her elbow bent slightly more. As for #1 her toe is touching the pitching rubber at address with her toe maintaining contact during rock back so it is not illegal, but as I said already thank you and I do appreciate the kind words.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I second WaSpeed02's second and uh... second points. (That was awkward...)
Definitely work on whip. Get that down and she'll be a whole new pitcher. I thought her plant angle was pretty good, but I like 45 or less. I tell kids to think "straight" during the stride and am happy if the plant is at least 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I watched the video on a regular screen and the plant angle wasn't what I thought I saw on DD's little gadgemathingy.

Aug 20, 2013
I just applaud you for being brave enough to post this for input! How long has she been taking lessons? We are new to this too and we celebrate if we make at least one small improvement each time we throw whether at home or with our PC.

Except for the height, or DD could be twins. Lefties and hair!

GG

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At one point, the rear foot drags on its side. Try to get that toe drag better and I suggest keeping it on the ground and just dragging it to the front heal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck