0 - 2 Counts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
To each their own but you have to gauge the batter's weakness to your pitcher's strength. There is no one pitch. To a slapper probably go off speed and out, big hitter possible way up and in. The older they get and starting to swing 34" bats then your "waste" pitcher better be off the plate more than a couple of balls. I'm not a fan of a waste pitch either, I prefer to go after the batter as well.

Nov 29, 2009
Giving up a home run is frustrating regardless of the pitch count....and usually means the pitcher made a mistake and hung something belt high over the middle of the plate.

I've seen plenty of mistakes hit for dingers. I've seen pitches just above the ankles hit. I've seen them tomahawked over the fence. You never know.

May 9, 2014
Don't forgot: 0-2 means change up!!!! That is the only correct call for many TB coaches. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

I've seen this so much its just crazy, my daughter pitches and is not the best hitter by a long shot, but even at 10 she knows its coming and sent the last one to center for the game winning rbi. I think its too predictable, i prefer a first or second pitch change, especially after a fast pitch strikeout to the previous batter, but not to the point it is predictable

May 27, 2013
Unfortunately but also funny at the same time, it seems that many coaches around here feel that on 0-2 the CU is coming and will yell to their batter - "WATCH THE CHANGE!"

Thank you, Coach, for putting that in your player's head - you have made my job calling the next pitch that much easier. ;)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately but also funny at the same time, it seems that many coaches around here feel that on 0-2 the CU is coming and will yell to their batter - "WATCH THE CHANGE!"

Thank you, Coach, for putting that in your player's head - you have made my job calling pitches that match easier. ;)

Shhhh, I was hoping no one caught on to that ;)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What you throw 0-2 depends on what you threw to get to 0-2. If you got there with 2 consecutive changeups, there's nothing wrong with a 3rd one sometimes.

Nov 18, 2013
I always hated seeing the batter swing way behind the first two pitches only to follow with a change up they can get a piece of.

Aug 8, 2010
Depends on how they got to 0-2. If the batter was late on fastballs, don't throw a CU. If she pulled FBs foul or fouled them straight back, maybe a CU on the outside. I have a pitcher that if she hears the other dugout say "watch for the changeup", will exaggerate digging in her glove like she is digging for a grip and proceed to throw fastball at the letters. She doesn't tip her grips so if she does it, the catcher knows what she is doing. She thinks the results are hilarious.

Dec 19, 2012
People make this so much harder than it has to be. Pitchers should live on the corners while changing speed and eye levels. Pitches should never be called in a set pattern. Pitch count should not matter to a pitcher. A pitcher should always throw a pitch with the intention of it not being hit square. Honestly, what's the difference between a home run off a 2-0 count versus an 0-2 count? Nothing.....A pitcher will be successful if they can keep the hitter off balance. Should a pitcher throw a waste pitch? Yes, sparingly. You have to keep the hitter guessing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi