0 - 2 Counts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2015
11U DD, if we're up 0-2, it's either high FB (she's not one of the "phenoms" who can throw a rise at 11), outside/inside by 6", or changeup. At 11U, the high one seems to be a tough pitch for girls to lay off. Nothing good. If she misses & we go 1-2, it's back to being agressive.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
In 3 years that I called pitched for DD's team, it seemed like the outside pitches were the hardest for batters to judge as strikes. So, I would throw outside a lot early in the count because I knew they wouldn't swing.

With that mindset, I'm not having my catcher setup 5-6 balls outside because I already know 9 times out of 10 they weren't swinging anyway.

I prefer to stay aggressive, try to keep the batter off balance. Too many pitch callers are predictable. Even at 11-12 years old these girls are figuring you out.

Jul 27, 2015
Don't forgot: 0-2 means change up!!!! That is the only correct call for many TB coaches. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

Let's hear your thoughts and reasoning on pitch type and location for a 0-2 count.

DD has experienced three different scenarios in the past few years:
1) Old travel ball team: Pitch must be off the plate by 5 to 6 ball widths.
2) Current travel ball team: Use the pitch you can own that exposes the hitter's weakness.
3) Current HS team: Pitch must be unhittable. Their definition of unhittable is off the plate enough they can't reach it.

My thoughts are don't give them a fatty. Use a deceptive pitch that makes them think they have to swing, but can't make solid contact. A pop up or ground out is fine with me. This unhittable or 6 balls off the plate nonsense amounts to a waste pitch and gives the hitter one ball in the count working in their favor. Why help the hitter and use a pitch that won't likely result in an out? I don't get it.

Teach me something!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wait just a second here..... You are implying that pitch callers should actually pay attention to the hitter and not just call pitches in a sequence? What a thought revelation! ;)

Don't forgot: 0-2 means change up!!!! That is the only correct call for many TB coaches. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

These two posts nailed my points....

We try to scout our opponents, looking for strengths, weaknesses, level of aggressiveness, etc. As an example, If a particular hitter aggressively chases low pitches, that will be our plan on an 0-2 count.

I am not in favor of true waste pitches. Every pitch has a reason. If a hitter chases the low pitch aggressively, a low drop (potentially even in the dirt) is not a waste pitch in my opinion. Throwing the pitch 12 inches outside (unless you think there is a realistic chance the hitter may swing), is not a pitch we are going to call in any situation.

The 0-2 change up absolutely blows my mind. We have faced teams that do this every single time. So much, in fact, that some of our hitters will sit on the change up against them. Ultimately the key is to keep the hitter off balance. You do that by being unpredictable. Throwing an 0-2 change up every time is far from unpredictable.

Focus on the pitcher's strengths, the hitter's weaknesses, and what the umpire is willing to give you.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At 0-2 the batter is taught to swing at anything close. My thought is to throw them something that looks close. That CU that looks outside corner but winds up almost bouncing up there. Throw that a couple of times and the rest of the game they are looking for that. That opens up everything

Feb 7, 2013
In this situation, I don't think you can compare MLB players to fastpitch travel ball players. In the majors, the batters have a great eye at the plate (or they won't be in the pros) and throwing waste pitches rarely get swing and misses. Also the ball is half the size as a softball and breaks more because of the farther distance and spin rate per second. Fastptich on the other hand, with composite bats, short infield and less movement means 0-2 pitches that are around the strike zone will likely be hit hard. It drives me crazy when my DD gets the count to 0-2 and gets a double ripped off her. She need to learn to use the 0-2 pitch to setup the next pitch. For example high and inside and the 4th pitch is low and away. The quality of the batter and the position in the lineup has a lot to do with what pitch and location you throw to on 0-2. 6 ball widths is probably too much but 2 ball widths may also not be the right answer. You need to give yourself some room for not hitting your spot exactly where you want to pitch it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi