Wish it was better.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, Its a problem that keeps rearing its ugly head. I keep showing her. Tee work I'm able to control. Live swings and bang there it is. I will keep on her to just 'turn the fringg barrel' I think someone said that before, hmmmmm.

You don't fully correct this issue with tee work. At best, you can introduce the concept with tee work. The issue comes in during the reading of the pitch. It is her "leveling process". She should instead learn to "level as she swings".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You don't fully correct this issue with tee work. At best, you can introduce the concept with tee work. The issue comes in during the reading of the pitch. It is her "leveling process". She should instead learn to "level as she swings".[/QUOTE]

Can you please explain this much further. Reason being if you can picture the 'boomer' post. I have seen a lot of swings off of front toss from me Laura's hands after I thought she 'turned the barrel' 'behind the corner' where the hands and bat was below the ball. Laura would then try to turn the barrel up into the ball. Boomer's problem was blamed on the 'uptuck drill' We never did the 'uptuck drill' but, was having the same problem. So part of the many problems is yes, Laura is having a big problem of "leveling as she swings". The SNF has her hands at times below the ball. Not saying it is the fault of SNF but, the fault of the batter trying to transition from a drill to live swings. I hope that make some sense?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
24plbnp.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rdbass ... are you happy with your daughter's hand set? I wouldn't be.

What would it take to have a better hand set such that the knob of the barrel was pointed towards the catcher's feet when she arrives in her 'launch position'? It would take the barrel being more vertical.

What do you think of the notion of having the barrel become more vertical during the "reading of the pitch"? Not essential ... but it can help a hitter with an issue like this. Why? Because it improves the hand set while avoiding premature loading of the hands. It helps promote the turning of the barrel.

If you are familiar with the "poke" ... then use it. As your daughter moves forward during the "reading of the pitch", have her elbow someone behind her.

From a more vertical barrel position, you don't first "flatten" and then "swing", you instead "turn the barrel" with a goal of getting on plane ... it is one continuous motion, not two.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Your the man FFS, thanks for the gif. Thank you so much. I see and now Laura will see. The 'poke someone behind you' I just posted that same exact question/comment on the thread of the 'role of the rear leg' An AHA moment for me.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
24plbnp.gif

First pause, Barrel should be vertical or more point towards catcher. Not trapped as it is now. Tipped, correct?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
24plbnp.gif

First pause, Barrel should be vertical or more point towards catcher. Not trapped as it is now. Tipped, correct?

First pause with the caption of "It's Barrel Turning Time!!" ... ideally the barrel would be more vertical with the "hand set" such that the knob of the barrel is pointing more towards the catcher's feet.

Second pause ... the barrel has flattened because your dauther's "leveling approach" is to first flatten (as she reads the pitch) rather than "turn the barrel" towards contact and trust that she'll level (i.e., get the barrel behind the ball) as she turns the barrel.

Last pause ... take note of how far the rear elbow is in-front of the rear hip at contact. Not a good sign.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
These guys are telling you to turn the barrel for over a year? Is it working for you?

Upper body is ahead of lower body in her swing.... Turning the barrel advice does not address that.
Not being mean...Just saying

SL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414