Is it time to leave?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2020
Here’s the situation:

First year 16U playing 18U showcase. DD is a pitcher and came to the team use to splitting defensive time when not pitching. Only left last team because the coaching staff decided to call it quits - they were an excellent team.

On new team she’s 1 of 3 pitchers and after all is said and done pitched 25% of the innings with mixed results. Some very good games some games difficult to watch. Virtually zero time in her second and third positions. I’m not pointing fingers but can’t ignore coaches kids play them both.

Hitting wise she received 25% of plate appearances of what the everyday starters received even though she outperformed half the team in avg and obp. On her last team she was allowed to hit maybe 80% of the time and rewarded them with above average results - top five in avg and obp. Of course this was 14U but a high level performing team. Coaches kids received almost 100% of possible plate appearances despite lackluster performance. Again, I get it…you put the time in coaching that counts for something but, you know.

I’m not afraid to tell DD it’s time to get to work and fight for a spot, but, I also know that in life there are times when the situation suggests it’s time to go. We’re not bitter at all, just trying to make an informed decision. She has aspirations of playing college ball (D2/D3 - most likely D3). I believe she can do it if she keeps working as hard as she does - weekly hitting and pitching lessons and nightly bullpens. When it comes to general athleticism I’d say she was average but always seems to show up defensively when given the opportunity.

Thought I would ask the opinion of this esteemed group.

So what say you? Stay or go and why?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021
I get that life's not fair, but when we're paying money for something, it's fair to have certain expectations. If that product doesn't meet your expectations, I'd purchase from somewhere else.
I think one of the most important questions on any team with parent coaches, is what positions their kids play. If they give you access to stats on GC, even better.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
What were the expectations when she joined the team? When you say 18U "Showcase" team, what do you mean? Aren't all 18U team playing in showcase events? Is this national program? or a regional Hittin' Kittin team? How many are on the roster? If your DD were an everyday player in what spot would she hit? If she is hitting in the top 5 spots then she should hit especially if you have a deep roster. Everyday players (non pitchers) need to fill the DP spot if they are not in the field so they can hit and be seen too. Lots of assumptions here. First things first. Does the coach know she wants to be in the hitting lineup and playing 2nd positions? If he knows and he was good with that when you joined the team, then remind him. If not, have that conversations and wait for his response. If you don't like his response, tell him good luck and we will see you at the fields in the other dugout.

Another note, there are only 3 pitchers and she is not getting 33% of the circle time. Sounds like she is a filler and an inning eater. Can she be a 1 or 2 on another team? Are the coaches "in the know" with recruiting? Are college coaches actually showing up in the stands to watch kids on this team? If y'all leave, will this aspect improve on another team? I have seen many girls leave DD's team only to go down a notch to an inferior team and disappear into the abyss whereas if they stuck with program they would have been playing college somewhere after graduation....if they wanted to.

Remember, it's quite rare for pitchers to hit in college too. You will be faced with the same situation if she wants to be a pitcher. She needs to be extra ordinary in the field and with the bat if she wants to do both. It CAN happen but when it does, the pitcher is usually an absolute stud and not a 7, 8 hole hitter.

DD's former TB teammate did not get the chance to hit on our TB team. HC was a pitcher only minded coach and just did not have Pitchers hit except for rare occasions. On her HS team she got to hit her Sr year and split time with former UGA pitcher Britton Rogers who got to hit too. She left our TB team her Sr year and got to hit. Fast Forward to college. Did not hit her first 3 years. Her coach finally let her let in Sr year. She hit 8 HR's, .373 avg and went 19-2 in the circle. 2X All American!!! Conference Woman of the year. Lot's of other awards.

May 27, 2013
I have similar questions as Orange Socks does. Is this a true 18U showcase team or an 18U team that calls themselves a showcase team? What kind of showcases are they playing in? Also, playing time for a showcase team IME depended a lot on which players reached out to the colleges they were interested in and got them to show up. It didn’t matter if we were playing a top team but our #4 pitcher had a coach come to watch her for that game - she got the start.

Is this team willing to bump their #1 pitcher from the game if a coach comes to see your dd pitch and that’s the only game they can stay for? If not, then you need to find a team that does a much better job of promoting their players and getting them in the game when coaches are there specifically asking to see them play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So what say you? Stay or go and why?

Best advice I ever saw on this forum
"If you are thinking it is time to go, it is time to go. Even if it is to find out if the whether the crazy was the team or you"

Unless your DD is hellbent on staying - and in the end the game is hers, not yours - this seems pretty clear cut to me.

Oct 4, 2020
Talk to the coach about your concerns. To be honest, as a first year 16’s I am not sure skipping over playing 16U is a good idea to begin with just from a recruiting perspective.
Had the chat, really got nowhere. And regarding the jump over 16U I feel the same. No one's ever been able to give me a good reason for the jump.

Oct 4, 2020
I have similar questions as Orange Socks does. Is this a true 18U showcase team or an 18U team that calls themselves a showcase team? What kind of showcases are they playing in? Also, playing time for a showcase team IME depended a lot on which players reached out to the colleges they were interested in and got them to show up. It didn’t matter if we were playing a top team but our #4 pitcher had a coach come to watch her for that game - she got the start.

Is this team willing to bump their #1 pitcher from the game if a coach comes to see your dd pitch and that’s the only game they can stay for? If not, then you need to find a team that does a much better job of promoting their players and getting them in the game when coaches are there specifically asking to see them play.
I don't know...they're smaller and go to showcase tourneys. All coaches are Dad's though with kids on the team. But I don't quite understand your logic, she can only expect playtime when a college coach is there to see her? That makes no sense. ON the promoting players thing I don't think they have the weight of some of the other organizations with a longer history.

Oct 4, 2020
What were the expectations when she joined the team? When you say 18U "Showcase" team, what do you mean? Aren't all 18U team playing in showcase events? Is this national program? or a regional Hittin' Kittin team? How many are on the roster? If your DD were an everyday player in what spot would she hit? If she is hitting in the top 5 spots then she should hit especially if you have a deep roster. Everyday players (non pitchers) need to fill the DP spot if they are not in the field so they can hit and be seen too. Lots of assumptions here. First things first. Does the coach know she wants to be in the hitting lineup and playing 2nd positions? If he knows and he was good with that when you joined the team, then remind him. If not, have that conversations and wait for his response. If you don't like his response, tell him good luck and we will see you at the fields in the other dugout.

Another note, there are only 3 pitchers and she is not getting 33% of the circle time. Sounds like she is a filler and an inning eater. Can she be a 1 or 2 on another team? Are the coaches "in the know" with recruiting? Are college coaches actually showing up in the stands to watch kids on this team? If y'all leave, will this aspect improve on another team? I have seen many girls leave DD's team only to go down a notch to an inferior team and disappear into the abyss whereas if they stuck with program they would have been playing college somewhere after graduation....if they wanted to.

Remember, it's quite rare for pitchers to hit in college too. You will be faced with the same situation if she wants to be a pitcher. She needs to be extra ordinary in the field and with the bat if she wants to do both. It CAN happen but when it does, the pitcher is usually an absolute stud and not a 7, 8 hole hitter.

DD's former TB teammate did not get the chance to hit on our TB team. HC was a pitcher only minded coach and just did not have Pitchers hit except for rare occasions. On her HS team she got to hit her Sr year and split time with former UGA pitcher Britton Rogers who got to hit too. She left our TB team her Sr year and got to hit. Fast Forward to college. Did not hit her first 3 years. Her coach finally let her let in Sr year. She hit 8 HR's, .373 avg and went 19-2 in the circle. 2X All American!!! Conference Woman of the year. Lot's of other awards.
See previous comment on what kind of showcase team they are. Not a national program. I'd put her somewhere around 6 or 7 in the lineup. Above most of the coaches kids though. Just saying.

On the pitcher hitting thing, I can think of three of four right away off the top of my head. I don't buy the "pitchers don't hit in college" argument. I pitcher that can hit is better than a pitcher that can't. And to be able to hit, you need to...well...hit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles