Is it time to leave?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
the counter point being, unless you have a bunch of pitching, why are you putting them in danger of injuries at the plate or on basepaths????

May 17, 2012
It's a balance with a set number of positions and a roster. It could be daddy ball, but it could also be a coach trying to satisfy "X" players with 9 positions.

I would also separate travel from school ball because I think the situations with rosters and rules are different.

Aug 8, 2022
I would agree with those that have said run, fast. My DD was in a similar situation, 16U. She's a catcher, not a pitcher but was lucky if she got 10% of the catcher innings with only two catchers on the team. Coach's daughter got 90%+. She's also a 3rd base but rarely saw time there either. Sometimes she'd be put in OF, she had the best bat on the team(by any stat you looked at), but even that was rare. Parent coaches with 4 kids on the team and some other favorites. She switched teams once the final straw fell and she is so happy. She should have made the switch a long time ago. What I'm noticing now that she's playing a lot is that her skills are at the same level of the top players on her new team since she practiced a lot on her own but her game time play can show her inexperience at times. Her old coaches would say that it's about the practice and playing time doesn't matter, I think that was to justify what they were doing. This is absolutely wrong, you have to practice to get the skills AND play to learn the game.

All this to say, get her on a team where she is actually playing and do it sooner rather than later.

Oct 4, 2018
DD's college team - the top 2 pitchers hit and also field when they are not pitching. As they should

What's the thought here?

On the D1 or P5 schools, we can list a handful of pitchers who hit. Louisville and Clemson studs come to mind.

Seems at "not top 100 softball program schools" plenty of pitchers hit. My DD is probably hoping to go to a school that isn't top 100 (for softball). And we kind of hope it lets her hit. She loves to hit and is good at it.

Jun 20, 2015
it's not really that hard to get innings for other players, unless coach is purposely slanted 1 way. Example, my 18u season just ended and my 2 catchers ended with 127.0 and 113.2 innings. and the only reason the 1 catcher was at 113 was she happens to be outstanding outfielder and played there when others were missing. this was for 46 games played this summer.

Jul 22, 2015
Here’s the situation:

First year 16U playing 18U showcase. DD is a pitcher and came to the team use to splitting defensive time when not pitching. Only left last team because the coaching staff decided to call it quits - they were an excellent team.

On new team she’s 1 of 3 pitchers and after all is said and done pitched 25% of the innings with mixed results. Some very good games some games difficult to watch. Virtually zero time in her second and third positions. I’m not pointing fingers but can’t ignore coaches kids play them both.

Hitting wise she received 25% of plate appearances of what the everyday starters received even though she outperformed half the team in avg and obp. On her last team she was allowed to hit maybe 80% of the time and rewarded them with above average results - top five in avg and obp. Of course this was 14U but a high level performing team. Coaches kids received almost 100% of possible plate appearances despite lackluster performance. Again, I get it…you put the time in coaching that counts for something but, you know.

I’m not afraid to tell DD it’s time to get to work and fight for a spot, but, I also know that in life there are times when the situation suggests it’s time to go. We’re not bitter at all, just trying to make an informed decision. She has aspirations of playing college ball (D2/D3 - most likely D3). I believe she can do it if she keeps working as hard as she does - weekly hitting and pitching lessons and nightly bullpens. When it comes to general athleticism I’d say she was average but always seems to show up defensively when given the opportunity.

Thought I would ask the opinion of this esteemed group.

So what say you? Stay or go and why?
I didn't read the responses, so you may already have this advice. If you need to seriously consider leaving a team then you (almost always) need to leave the team. She isn't getting enough time where she is. That answers your main question and everything else is really ancillary.

May 29, 2015
I am totally on board with the "If you have to ask ..." crowd.

I will add this though: It isn't necessarily a bad thing, so stop treating it like it is. Quite simply, it wasn't the right fit. That doesn't mean there has to be any animosity or that anybody was right or wrong.

They want to be a "pitcher only" club (I despise that that has even become a term we all understand) and may not understand what a showcase team really is. Your daughter should not be a pitcher only and wants to get some exposure. Appreciate the season you had, say thank you, and go find her an appropriate team to join. No big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles