Wish it was better.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
She's flattening it behind her back so she can pull the knob of the bat. Just get her to turn the barrel. That should make a world of difference.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Rd- what are you working on and what do you see that needs improvement?

rdbass.gif

I just got back in from Laura's High school JV practice. So, I just started reading the posts. I'm sweating as I read them. I lot easier looking at other DD's gifs. Thanks for the replys to all.
I'll answers Rayr first.
We have been doing the SNF and trying to get Laura to turn the barrel with a HPP. I thought it looked good off a tee but, during Travel ball try-outs this is what showed up. I don't like the bat flat we work on the bat being vertical. The flat bat was something Laura was doing in the past and I thought was gone. But, here it is. Also I notice on the video that when Laura coils the rear leg/knee also turned back towards the catcher. We also worked on "waiting on the ball', "hitting opposite field. In the video she isn't waiting on the ball to get deep. Also work on hitting through the ball, getting extension throw the ball. Not happening in the video.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
She's flattening it behind her back so she can pull the knob of the bat. Just get her to turn the barrel. That should make a world of difference.

I have been big on 'turn the barrel'. Off the tee doing SNF Laura has been repeatedly told to turn the barrel. Throw a ball at her and she goes right back to 'knob pull'.
I need a way, a drill, something, that will have her feel the 'turning of the barrel' and do it against live pitching.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Try explaining to her about the rear hip pivot point. If that rear hip is a point that is going forward...every thing above that point can pull backwards...with the back's muscles...that point will pull forward against rearward pull...keep pulling back and add a pivot point of the barrel turning backwards around the hands...that will equal a barrel being whipped around a corner from behind the rear hip.

Take away all thought of forcefully swinging forward into the ball.

So the leg irs, the back pulls back, creates a hpp...keep pulling back and iring will increase the stretch until it gives and whips the barrel.

...IDK I must have explained it 30 different ways to 15 or so kids...it takes something different to get each one to understand. I do believe you have to show them...cause no one believes you can keep pulling back and flick your barrel rearward and still hit a ball hard coming from in front of you.

I thought Laura had it. We have been doing SNF(a great drill) and I see her turning the barrel but, throw a ball at her and you see what we got. I put off looking at the video until today. I kind of knew what I was going to see. I can turn the barrel. I can tell and show other posters DD's how to turn the barell but, Laura can't turn the barrel against a live ball. What am I missing I need something that will click with Laura. Thanks for all your help.

R

RayR

Here is what I would do -

Use this as a blue print. Keep the hands as quiet as possible and let the lower body (specifically the rear leg) swing the bat. Get comfortable with this.

al225131cropped.gif

She has done the SnF drills as part of the package and while some told me that they liked her previous swing I knew this was going in the right direction because she was learning how to use the rear leg and pull back against it

combosm.gif

and here is a rear leg swing

alrearleg22513.gif

And finally a game swing with the same quiet hands and rear leg action

al31913g.gif

Point to all this is - learn how to resist against good rear leg action - keep the hands quiet and it is easier to allow the swing to unfold instead of trying to load up the barrel by flattening it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I thought Laura had it. We have been doing SNF(a great drill) and I see her turning the barrel but, throw a ball at her and you see what we got. I put off looking at the video until today. I kind of knew what I was going to see. I can turn the barrel. I can tell and show other posters DD's how to turn the barell but, Laura can't turn the barrel against a live ball. What am I missing I need something that will click with Laura. Thanks for all your help.

Oh it's just the dreaded pitched ball...it happens with almost everyone...keep working and it will all be good. I bet even without the barrel turn the snf has powered her up.

I would (am) doing minimal tee now, and if you have a net, before throwing front toss to her, try tossing from inside the 1st base line tossing at her mid section so she can't hit it out front. Have her stand in an open stance, pull back into her stretch, and just focus on pulling back, turning the barrel, TIGHT...no thoughts of hitting, driving the ball or anything. Tell her with a tight snf, the bat flick away from the ball is pulling the trigger...like a rifle, pull the trigger and ignited fire takes care of the rest.

agonflick_zps9110ded2.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RayR and Redhotcoach,
Thanks for the step by step visuals. I'm a visual learner. I plan on sitting down with Laura (I would right now and pull and all nighter but teenagers want to go out with friends). I turn the barrel all day. I was just SNF and turning the barrel while walking the dog. You should have seen the poop fly. I'm the weird-o. We will get to work on this right away. I am studying them as of right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug