Wish it was better.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Laura hitting off a pitching machine at practice.

I was hoping she would show more improvement. Oh well, it's not from the sake of trying hard. Posting to show our work. the good ,the bad, and ugly.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Try explaining to her about the rear hip pivot point. If that rear hip is a point that is going forward...every thing above that point can pull backwards...with the back's muscles...that point will pull forward against rearward pull...keep pulling back and add a pivot point of the barrel turning backwards around the hands...that will equal a barrel being whipped around a corner from behind the rear hip.

Take away all thought of forcefully swinging forward into the ball.

So the leg irs, the back pulls back, creates a hpp...keep pulling back and iring will increase the stretch until it gives and whips the barrel.

...IDK I must have explained it 30 different ways to 15 or so kids...it takes something different to get each one to understand. I do believe you have to show them...cause no one believes you can keep pulling back and flick your barrel rearward and still hit a ball hard coming from in front of you.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Also...all along while working on it...keep telling her to wait longer. Force herself to almost be late. Even with no changes to her swing, I think that would bump her speed and power.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am going to fill up your whole thread until it is locked! JK

I am watch from my iphone, so I keep having to reply...as I watch more...I feel, (I always try to feel what a hitters is doing), I feel like just turning the barrel rearward would make a huge difference.

I think she starts to get some stretch, then lets the barrel fall below her shoulder and pulls it around. If my dd hasn't swung in a while she always resorts back to doing that to. I always have to say flick/launch the barrel back at go...letting the barrel drop and pulling it around can be powerful, and their bodies know it, it's like an instinct, but it takes too long against good pitching, so they need a goal, a self talk thought, of launching the barrel rearward at go.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The gif you posted with Braun, Bustos, and AGon on 3/23...it is still open on my ipod at home. It is what my dd and ds are watching and working on. It is what Knight's dd is working on. Show her, talk about it, make her do it a few minutes several times a day. You are the hitting authority in her life! No one that coach's her knows more about hitting then you! Let her know that, and be confident, you can make her star (and save yourself some college tuition!)
Mark 6:4 "a prophet is not without honor, except in .....and among his own relatives, and in his own home."
I tell my wife that one all the time...it does me no good, but maybe it will work for you.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Find balance first
I try to find a feet width that has good weight shift, but does not allow the body to move to much forward.
I would have her do her current swing with the feet at least 6 inches wider and she then probably wont stride as far.

The other adjustment would be to figure out how to get her to think (hitting the ball deeper).
A deeper tee when you practice
The barry bonds drill
Maybe 3/4 swings into a heavy bag for trying to tighter up the lead arm to chest distance on rotation....

Looks like she has gotten a bit stronger

Straightleg

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Dang RHC is on it!!!!
RD, FWIW, Getting that barrel to move from vertical to back and around the back hip in a one piece move as the pitch is coming is key. The lower back pulling while that is happening makes it feel like 2 different(uncomfortable) actions putting the body in a torque position. My DD hit a few today in the cage today using those feelings and her jaw dropped at the sound and pure fury of the ball coming off the bat. Laura does look better! Your job is to make Her look like all those GIF's you've been staring at for hours and hours.... not easy. Good luck Tommy

Feb 14, 2010
Keep working RD & Laura it will come. Always remember its a journey and with work you will reach your destination.

R

RayR

Rd- what are you working on and what do you see that needs improvement?

rdbass.gif

Laura hitting off a pitching machine at practice.

I was hoping she would show more improvement. Oh well, it's not from the sake of trying hard. Posting to show our work. the good ,the bad, and ugly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse