Wish it was better.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
Rd - turn the barrel behind the rear leg is a good thought - here is a visual - sorry about the dropped frame in this clip but you should get the gist of it....and watch the "curve" of her back being produced by the action of the rear leg and pull back.

alrearleg22513cropped.gif

RayR....nice gif! A perfect example of a hitter using her front side. The front side action does not act like this if it is simply being guided by the top hand. The front side is working....and working hard in conjunction with the back arm supplying a hammer through the ball. However I think the pull back of the upper body is due to the forward movement of the hips. The upper body reacts to the forward movement of the hips in order to stay balanced and not fall forward.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So, if the lower body spins before the upper body you make a good hitter?

You and Lenski forming a nice comedy duo....beating up turning the barrel as advice not working when it is clear (no offense RD) that this hitter is not even close to turning the barrel....

Exactly! This hitter is not turning the barrel.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My interpretation of 'turning the barrel' and then my DD's interpretation of 'turning the barrel' seemed to be totally different. I believe from reading and seeing video that the barrel must be turned behind a corner after IR of the rear leg. The hips should pull the barrel not push them. I posted my DD's swing. So, there is our work. Not good but, it will get better.

Rdbass, you could make this considerably easier for your daughter by considering the "slot of the barrel" ... a barrel that is more vertical makes this much easier for a hitter to grasp. Having a barrel flatten as your daughter's flattens during the "reading of the pitch" is problematic ... if anything, it would help if the barrel flattened to more of a 45-degree angle. Read up on Donny's work under "Effects of Bat Slots", "How Do Bat Slots Effect The Swing?" and "Bat Position (Slot)".

Sep 17, 2009
RayR....nice gif! A perfect example of a hitter using her front side. The front side action does not act like this if it is simply being guided by the top hand. The front side is working....and working hard in conjunction with the back arm supplying a hammer through the ball. However I think the pull back of the upper body is due to the forward movement of the hips. The upper body reacts to the forward movement of the hips in order to stay balanced and not fall forward.

I'm confused by this post. Ray is TELLING you the cues and actions he is working on with this hitter. Why introduce a whole nother set of cues and actions when "analyzing" the video. Honest question.

Jun 18, 2010
Rd - turn the barrel behind the rear leg is a good thought - here is a visual - sorry about the dropped frame in this clip but you should get the gist of it....and watch the "curve" of her back being produced by the action of the rear leg and pull back.

alrearleg22513cropped.gif

RayR, That is a very good clip.

Here is what we have been doing for about a week to try and get that feeling you show above.

It is dark (basement). As RayR and TM pointed out, she is standing a little too far away from the bag, but this will give you an idea... The nice thing about this drill and the punching bag is she can concentrate on the feeling and not worry about a small target (ball).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's not about "beating up" turning the barrel. Do you honestly think a high level swing will appear in RD's dd just by turning the barrel?

Some things that could help your dd straight away RD are: stay tall (so she doesn't lean forward), keep the bat close to the back of helmet (at the ponytail area) during her stretch and before her forward part of the swing, keep front elbow higher than hands, and hands higher than barrel as bat travels through the hitting zone using both hands to rip the barrel through the zone (hammer the ball), hit through the ball - not to the ball, and extend and finish long. Get that front side involved RD; don't let the front side be simply guided by the top hand.

Bold above .... the act of "turning the barrel" recruits other body segments and in many cases will correct the forward lean ... as an example check out the following link ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/11783-dd-bat-drag-6.html#post135249 Take note of the differences in the front leg between a hitter that doesn't turn the barrel and one that is just learning to turn the barrel.

Drag the barrel .....

w1fdsm.gif

Shortly after starting to work on turning the barrel .....

2pt54ep.gif

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
RD,

I applaud you for putting this video on here. It's not easy putting a video on here knowing that the swing isn't want you wanted but that's part of the process. IMO you are on the right path just need to put it all together. Get her back side driving and her hands turning the barrel and you are there. This process has many bumps in the road and steps backwards but you have to trust what you are saying. I guarantee every poster on this site has a DD/students that are or have been in the exact place you & Laura are right now.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RayR, That is a very good clip.

Here is what we have been doing for about a week to try and get that feeling you show above.

It is dark (basement). As RayR and TM pointed out, she is standing a little too far away from the bag, but this will give you an idea... The nice thing about this drill and the punching bag is she can concentrate on the feeling and not worry about a small target (ball).

Rdbass ... take note of how this drill is initiated from a near vertical barrel.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am going to fill up your whole thread until it is locked! JK

I am watch from my iphone, so I keep having to reply...as I watch more...I feel, (I always try to feel what a hitters is doing), I feel like just turning the barrel rearward would make a huge difference.

I think she starts to get some stretch, then lets the barrel fall below her shoulder and pulls it around. If my dd hasn't swung in a while she always resorts back to doing that to. I always have to say flick/launch the barrel back at go...letting the barrel drop and pulling it around can be powerful, and their bodies know it, it's like an instinct, but it takes too long against good pitching, so they need a goal, a self talk thought, of launching the barrel rearward at go.

Day 2 bump ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse