What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2014
2ziwup1.gif

This I do not think is a correct swivel, but close.
To much barrel dump, but again the hands are very close to the unhinging that occurs in a high level swing.

It is a "dump" when the bat head drops below the hands with rotational mechanics. The swivel drops the bat head into the plane of the ball, then gets rotated. This holds true for typical double pendular mechanics.

There is no "dumping" even if the bat head drops below the hands in torsioned mechanics through a single pivot, single pendulum system.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know I'll probably have to deal with nasty personal attacks for this, but the scap is pinched as part of the swing in many swings (i.e. the ones that don't start with a clamped scap). It's part of what I'd consider "GO!"

If the scap is not pinched, doesn't this introduce slop into the system?

TBao said:
The "pinched" scapula fuses the hand swivel to the torsion bar.
This ^ is what I feel. Without that connection, my hands have to push to get the barrel to contact.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
TBao, interesting name given the Urban Dictionary definition. Please explain "rotational mechanics" and whether you believe most people coaching hitting today seen instruction as either rotational or linear. Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2011
It is a "dump" when the bat head drops below the hands with rotational mechanics. The swivel drops the bat head into the plane of the ball, then gets rotated. This holds true for typical double pendular mechanics.

There is no "dumping" even if the bat head drops below the hands in torsioned mechanics through a single pivot, single pendulum system.

This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks to all the contributors. Can someone elaborate on the statements above particularly what they see wrong with this hand wrist action? I am having trouble understanding a dump versus the correct way for the barrel to go from up to down in the swing. Me and my DD have been working extensively on this as she was a classic drop the hands and swing the barrel flat to the ground with flat shoulders. I see the above video as something positive you could do to get them to feel the hand swivel but from the comments it appears this is wrong somehow. Can someone elaborate? Thanks.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks to all the contributors. Can someone elaborate on the statements above particularly what they see wrong with this hand wrist action? I am having trouble understanding a dump versus the correct way for the barrel to go from up to down in the swing. Me and my DD have been working extensively on this as she was a classic drop the hands and swing the barrel flat to the ground with flat shoulders. I see the above video as something positive you could do to get them to feel the hand swivel but from the comments it appears this is wrong somehow. Can someone elaborate? Thanks.

Understanding that the hands are the pivot point for the bat is a critical part of the swing. Also, the hands will be above the ball at contact.
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Dec 4, 2013
Any other great video explanations explaining the SCIP AXIS, Coil, Scap Pinch, and any other of that good stuff?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

Uh, what? I think that I will post thread of a drill I use to teach a pivot point, and create a short adjustable swing.
Actually, I use it to get rid of laying the barrel back and sweeping through also.

Rock the U, un rock the U, turn the barrel.

Then, everyone can show me how wrong I am, and then I can improve my knowledge.
I seem to learn everything the hard way anyway.

Apr 1, 2014
bondsaxis.gif

who wrote that, Rdbass? because he is getting "sat"

Ruler.gif

Watch the ruler....it is a torsion bar.

The fellow can turn the top of the ruler for the coil (in this case he turns the bottom, but it does not matter for the sake of argument).

During overlap the bottom of the ruler gets additionally twisted for a "coil of the coil", (both ends of the torsion bar gets twisted).

A twelve inch ruler is no longer effectively 12 inches because it shortens. Bonds is "sat" because of the secondary coil generated in conflicting torques in the hip socket during the overlap. His center of gravity is lowered. Bonds is essentially flat footed but remains ready. He is fooled by the pitch, yet he preserves the capacity to unleash the torsional forces and continues to augment it until the hand swivel to ready to release it. The SCIP axis is a suspended platform. The source of torque is in the hip socket and not ground based. Its effectiveness in not diminished in the lack of a ground based axis of rotation characterizing the amateur.

By the way, Mann. Those frames you show of the (?)right handed Bond's...where he does not "lower" because he does not need to. He releases his swivel, because SNF can be produced on demand the millisecond he needs it, by having opposing levers simultaneously fire with his hand swivel. This capacity attests to the suddenness in demand and the latency for adjustability in a torsional mechanism. The high level swing operates on the principle of creating instantaneous resistance, the ability to augment it while it holds, then suddenly releasing it on demand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse