What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2014
View attachment 5569
sat

as an edit for another thread, a two footed approach.

I really must learn how to teach this area better.

Ummm...what? I have no idea how this is relative to a discussion of "corner". Care to explain?

In fact Eric, a flat footed "corner" is exactly why the SCIP axis of rotation is not ground-based and why it is a SUSPENDED PLATFORM. Can somebody post Barry Bond's 750th homer?

I will explain why when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
miggycommercial2_zps4d948f61.gif

RD, is the full swing available? I would like to show his bat "tip" during the load.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Locked scap? Sounds like an adjustability killer. perhaps a scap that gets tightened as a result of a rotating torso is more suitable. Or is that what you mean?

Jan 13, 2012
Locked scap? Sounds like an adjustability killer. perhaps a scap that gets tightened as a result of a rotating torso is more suitable. Or is that what you mean?

I know I'll probably have to deal with nasty personal attacks for this, but the scap is pinched as part of the swing in many swings (i.e. the ones that don't start with a clamped scap). It's part of what I'd consider "GO!"

Apr 1, 2014

Correction made: "Pinched" as pstein noted. It is a critical component in the overlap.

I will try to be brief here.

1. The high level hitter launches rearward.
2. The hand swivel creates a rearward vortex in a full single rotation by the time of ball contact.
3. The vortex triggers the release in the SCIP's resistance, that axis being the system's torsion bar.
4. The vortex supplies the switch and adjustability in the system; the SCIP axis is the power source, in making that action quick and instantaneous.
5. The power source and the trigger are linked by the pinched scapula so that the hand swivel is anatomically the direct recipient of the system's torque: The "pinched" scapula fuses the hand swivel to the torsion bar.

Comment:
The bat is swung rearward in the high level swing. But it is not as simple turning a vault door handle (although it is a generally "good estimate"). Nor is it turning a frisbee in one direction with the hands for the load, then reversing the direction for the launch. The reverse top hand drill has been one reference on this site in reinforcing this. More precisely in the high level hitter, the hand set carves out a volume in the shape of a vortex. Adjustability is created by the hands with the shape of the vortex adjusting to the plane of the swing.

Watch the amateur's Happy Gilmore. He cocks his bat, to uncock for the release in the reverse direction. This is further degraded when the hitter cocks, then flattens the bat to the proper plane, before releasing. The amateur cannot generate a vortex in the lack of torsion powered mechanics. In fact, the strategy of the hand swivel for the amateur is to gauge his plane of swing, before it gets rotated through a long, ground based axis for a "pushed" swing.

Examine Mini's: He initializes his intent with a "bat tip", then swivels in a vortex rearward to square the ball. He exploits the SCIP's vertical wrenching action to turn his vortex into, in order to complete the revolution by the time the bat emerges from behind. That bat is now in "autopilot" for the finish. The bat's motion is a continuum, in contrast to a phasic "stop and go". Mini can only accomplish this through leveraging back side scapular support and hip socket separation. (I will define that hip socket separation further in detail).

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
2ziwup1.gif

This I do not think is a correct swivel, but close.
To much barrel dump, but again the hands are very close to the unhinging that occurs in a high level swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55