What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
2ziwup1.gif

This I do not think is a correct swivel, but close.
To much barrel dump, but again the hands are very close to the unhinging that occurs in a high level swing.

next time Alabama plays on Tv, or if you have last weekends game burned out, watch what Kaila Hunt does when approaching an at bat...and standing in the box. I mentioned it last year after watching her, but it has changed slightly. She is deep, going through her at bat in her mind "movie", and stands swiveling the barrel back.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Uh, what? I think that I will post thread of a drill I use to teach a pivot point, and create a short adjustable swing.
Actually, I use it to get rid of laying the barrel back and sweeping through also.

Rock the U, un rock the U, turn the barrel.

Then, everyone can show me how wrong I am, and then I can improve my knowledge.
I seem to learn everything the hard way anyway.

Would love to see the drill! And great attitude!
I personally do not like "un rock the U" all of the kids I have work on rockthuturnthebarrel...all one move, no pause, or back then forward. It is timing. Late the U may not come back and up as much before launched into a barrel turn. Change up, it can continue coming back and up, the coil will probably move the hitter out a bit more before the barrel is launched. See visual difference in Bonds vs McCutchen. Bonds seems to be always closer to being on time...snap go! Cutch will have some at bats that are snap go...other at bats with a lot of moveout (but still back) then snap go.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Would love to see the drill! And great attitude!
I personally do not like "un rock the U" all of the kids I have work on rockthuturnthebarrel...all one move, no pause, or back then forward. It is timing. Late the U may not come back and up as much before launched into a barrel turn. Change up, it can continue coming back and up, the coil will probably move the hitter out a bit more before the barrel is launched. See visual difference in Bonds vs McCutchen. Bonds seems to be always closer to being on time...snap go! Cutch will have some at bats that are snap go...other at bats with a lot of moveout (but still back) then snap go.

I agree that the final result is rock the u, turn the barrel.
But to get rid of their habits of them laying the barrel back, then sweeping, I teach them to un rock the u.
Not to start any more arguments, its just I feel they keep their turn shorter, and stays "connected", rather than "to army'

I also now find that if I pre coil, just having them slightly pigeon toe, its so much easier as a starting point for the newbies.

I will cut some clips, and post the drill.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sounds good to me....kind a same as "turn the barrel to the ball." Imo the key points are turn the barrel right now! And avoid a push of the arms/hands. Again, all one flowing move.

We do some pre coil also.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
Uh, what? I think that I will post thread of a drill I use to teach a pivot point, and create a short adjustable swing.
Actually, I use it to get rid of laying the barrel back and sweeping through also.

Rock the U, un rock the U, turn the barrel.

....I personally do not like "un rock the U" all of the kids I have work on rockthuturnthebarrel...all one move, no pause, or back then forward. It is timing

Bold above is amateur for reasons noted by RTC.

The high level "rocks the U" for the load, then INVERTS THE U during the launch.

No corner:
Zx4Wgw.gif

That is why I like the rear leg to step behind.
ministep.gif

Corner.

Do we know what that rear step behind does?

The rear thigh sweeps inward towards the pitcher by internal rotation, in creating a horizontal torque in the rear hip socket. This is simultaneously opposed by the rearward arching back engaged in a scapular pinch. This leverages his hand swivel rearward in whipping his giddy-up.

That amateur above has no hip socket separation: He has NO HORIZONTAL component in his lower extremity to act on his hip socket. His SCIP axis, the opposing vertical torque (if he had one) instead rotates coaxially with both his rear leg and thigh. Both axles work in the same direction. His Rock the U becomes Unrock the U for a PUSHED swing with the whip beside if not in front of him.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
Did we already get the definition of SCIP axis here? If not could someone please define that for me(and possibly others). Thank you and this thread is fantastic.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Bold above is a amateur for reasons noted by RTC.

The high level "rocks the U" for the load, then INVERTS THE U during the launch.

Do we know what that rear step behind does?

The rear thigh sweeps inward towards the pitcher by internal rotation, in creating a horizontal torque in the rear hip socket. This is simultaneously opposed by the rearward arching back engaged in a scapular pinch. This leverages his hand swivel rearward in whipping his giddy-up.

That amateur above has no hip socket separation: He has NO HORIZONTAL component in his lower extremity. His SCIP axis (if he had one) rotates coaxially with both his rear leg and thigh. Both axles work in the same direction. His Rock the U becomes Unrock the U for a PUSHED swing with the whip beside if not in front of him.

Ok, I will tell the girls to "Rock the u" then use the cue "now invert the u".

I am defiantly an amateur. Even worse than an amateur, I need about three jobs to pay for all my softball expenses.

Tbao, are you paid? what organization? Can you use Gifs of your students to help me get a better idea, of what you teach teach.