USSSA Elite team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Uh, NPF pays like 5K or 15K....and has like 4 teams that no one outside FP know about....You can't make a living out of it.

Baseball, U-trip sells this Elite/scouting stuff out all over the country (probably partly due to good, real college connections)...and I bet the softball counterpart is about 1/4 as successful, partly due to lack of "respect" from college coaches. We'll see.

And yes the U-trip site is far superior and that is helping them a lot.

So there are professional teams!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Uh, NPF pays like 5K or 15K....and has like 4 teams that no one outside FP know about....You can't make a living out of it.

With the addition of the Dallas Charge there are now 5 teams and you are correct in that they can't make a living at playing for the NPF. For example, the Akron Racers don't pay their players at all. However, the NPF teams and there corporate sponsors do help the team members find high quality/ decent paying jobs that give them the flexibility to practice/play professional softball.

One other thing. The strength of any of the alphabet organizations will vary by geographical location as is seen by the previous posts in this thread. In our neck of the woods, USSSA is non-existent or less than C level play, NSA is pretty much a joke as well, ASA is king and PGF is coming on strong. Less than 10 miles away in the next state over, NSA is king, USSSA is strong, ASA less so and PGF hasn't made a dent. Nationwide is a completely different story. How someone rates these orgs will depend on the criteria such as number of college coaches at their National tournament, level of competition, sheer number of tournaments, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
So I guess I was wrong. It's not billed as a Utrip elite team. It's a USA Elite Select. I had one too many Ss in there. Does that change anything?

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
Utrip is slowly taking over my area. ASA A State is still the best state tournament in Il but that can change fast.

ASA has had the same crappy website for as long as I have been around. No scores, no real info. Sounds dumb but the USSSA website is making the difference here.

In Illinois, when USSSA gets the state tournaments out of Rockford and puts them in a part of the state that will attract better competition ASA might as well pack up their stuff.

2015/2016 and going forward, USSSA will be hosting State in different locations through out Illinois

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
ThunderStruck8.....Unfortunately with the resignation of the state director, and one of her major cohorts in the Rockford area not involved anymore, I think Utrip will really fade. Head toward Chicago and it's all ASA and PGF and the competition level is much higher. I already know some of the Rockford tourneys will be PGF or NAFA. The softball scene in the area will be interesting this season.

I do agree, every sanctioning body needs to revamp their website to mimic what Utrip does. Best out there, hands down.

I did not know the Rockford changes occurred. Might not be any big loss, most of those tournaments were low level. I thought it was VERY interesting to see Joe Bolen as tournament director of a USSSA tournament at the Louisville Slugger complex they are building in Peoria. He is a guy who can get things done and if there has been any USSSA presence in Peoria before that I am unaware of it.

If that Louisville Slugger complex turns out to be what they say it will be, that will change Illinois (midwest?) softball, two hours from Chicago, St. Louis, Indy and the QC would create a meeting place for great competition.

When Brenda retired she did not lose one of her major cohorts in the Rockford Area. The new State Director Perry Clark is making some changes, and is moving the State Tournaments to different locations year to year.
Rockford is hosting USSSA, NSA and PGF this year, so time will tell.

Yes, Joe is going to help get things gong in the southern part of the state.

USA Elite Select program that is being launched for 2015. In summary, this program is going to be our showcase side of USSSA and also puts an emphasis on our building an elite side of play within USSSA. With the Pride and NPF assisting us we truly believe we can build a credible program ..............from National office and there ideal of the select program

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Funny story....someone put together an "Elite 80" event in GA, touting it as a great showcase opportunity for the 80 players selected. The problem was only 60 players showed up and most were B-level players. Most A-level players are on a good TB team that will get them exposure to college coaches, so they do not need to do these special events.

The thing that has become popular in the Chicago metro area are Let Us Play For You events. Dave Betcher from the Illinois PGF is bringing together serious players and college coaches. The players will be put on to teams the coaches run. They will play several games with the coaches rotating teams. This allows the coaches to directly interact with the players to get a real feel about them. They've become very popular.

Bill Conroy of the Bandits has been working with On-Deck doing some well attended events in the mid-west by both players and coaches. During the 1st week of January there were several camps for the players and coaches in my area. Most were sold out.

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
When Brenda retired she did not lose one of her major cohorts in the Rockford Area.

It was my understanding that Brian Fernette, who put on a lot of the Utrip tourneys in Rockford is doing PGF and NAFA tourneys this year. Maybe that was mis-stated to me.....? I also don't see him listed on the Illinois USSSA site anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi