USSSA Elite team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Utrip is slowly taking over my area. ASA A State is still the best state tournament in Il but that can change fast.

ASA has had the same crappy website for as long as I have been around. No scores, no real info. Sounds dumb but the USSSA website is making the difference here.

Sounds like North Carolina to a tee, and what you say about the website is pretty interesting.

The ASA still runs a half-dozen really important tournaments here (ie, ASA qualifiers, state championships) that trump any the USSSA has in N.C., but USSSA in eastern NC and a group called TopGun in western NC have taken over the rest. (NSA also runs some high-end tournaments but can't beat the other two for volume of teams.) Both the USSSA and TopGun have good websites where you can see draws and scores and get info on teams. The ASA has the software for providing draws and scores, but many of the tournament directors here decline to use it. They don't release draws or scores. You'll have a state championship or an ASA qualifier and you can't find out any info on who played and how it came out.

Apr 1, 2010
ASA has had the same crappy website for as long as I have been around. No scores, no real info. Sounds dumb but the USSSA website is making the difference here.

I agree. I much prefer the USSSA website. There's so much more info there.

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
Utrip is slowly taking over my area. ASA A State is still the best state tournament in Il but that can change fast.

In Illinois, when USSSA gets the state tournaments out of Rockford and puts them in a part of the state that will attract better competition ASA might as well pack up their stuff.

Unfortunately with the resignation of the state director, and one of her major cohorts in the Rockford area not involved anymore, I think Utrip will really fade. Head toward Chicago and it's all ASA and PGF and the competition level is much higher. I already know some of the Rockford tourneys will be PGF or NAFA. The softball scene in the area will be interesting this season.

I do agree, every sanctioning body needs to revamp their website to mimic what Utrip does. Best out there, hands down.

Feb 12, 2014
Here on Long Island, there is NO ASA, 90% of tournaments & leagues are USSSA, the other 10% are PONY or independent, and thats because they cant get along with the USSSA director

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Had a friend attend a session in North Florida and he said it was quite good. Well run and organized, lots of measurements and timings and results published (you can see results by player # on their website). They had a big turn out. Like a big combine with some instruction.

The idea is have an event at Disney shortly before the USSSA worlds with formed teams from these tryouts but that is it for these teams formally.

Haven't decided if my DD is going to go the local tryout in a few weeks. About 1/2 of her team is currently planning on attending.

USSSA is absolute king in South Florida and mid-level in North Forida. NSA is popular in mid-north Florida. ASA has quite a few tourneys but the only difference is the weaker teams don't show (it is just the best of the USSSA based teams). PGF is trying to put a tourney or two together but nothing real yet. And there is some USFA but focused in the Panama City area.

We are putting together our tourney schedule for this season - all local tourney will be USSSA plus we will play the one available local qualifier for either ASA/USFA or NSA so we can play in the whatever States/World championship we target for end of season (leaning USFA this season). We may do a couple of overnight tourneys which will be NSA in the Daytona area if we decide to.

Dec 11, 2010
Unfortunately with the resignation of the state director, and one of her major cohorts in the Rockford area not involved anymore, I think Utrip will really fade. Head toward Chicago and it's all ASA and PGF and the competition level is much higher. I already know some of the Rockford tourneys will be PGF or NAFA. The softball scene in the area will be interesting this season.

I do agree, every sanctioning body needs to revamp their website to mimic what Utrip does. Best out there, hands down.

I did not know the Rockford changes occurred. Might not be any big loss, most of those tournaments were low level. I thought it was VERY interesting to see Joe Bolen as tournament director of a USSSA tournament at the Louisville Slugger complex they are building in Peoria. He is a guy who can get things done and if there has been any USSSA presence in Peoria before that I am unaware of it.

If that Louisville Slugger complex turns out to be what they say it will be, that will change Illinois (midwest?) softball, two hours from Chicago, St. Louis, Indy and the QC would create a meeting place for great competition.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
We live less than 2 hours from Peoria. I think the complex would change a lot of things! We don't get an opportunity for much play between October and March within reasonable driving distance other than a couple tournaments. This would open that up!

Dec 11, 2010
We live less than 2 hours from Peoria. I think the complex would change a lot of things! We don't get an opportunity for much play between October and March within reasonable driving distance other than a couple tournaments. This would open that up!

Wouldn't it be awesome?!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The idea is have an event at Disney shortly before the USSSA worlds with formed teams from these tryouts but that is it for these teams formally.

Someone can put together the greatest tournament ever and if no college coaches show up have you really gotten your moneys worth?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi