Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Simply posting some thoughts I had about college stuff

Seeing different comments recently on the Forum about people talking about why do players want to go D1?
going to D3 is just as good and such. Thinking about it, the one thing that stands out about the title D1
People identify D1 has the best players.

Thinking it through a bit....🤔in all of travel ball....even though there are teams that are labeled a b or c. And there are different softball events to go to... Usssa Nationals, Triple Crown Nationals, pgf Nationals and so forth. Just about any teams can play in any of those they don't really have a title of talent level so to speak.
Sooo from that ⬆️
When College comes around we NOW see a classification like D1 that stands out to players as being the top group of players.
Kind of like college D1 D2 D3 *differentiates Talent levels.

( It's not to say there aren't D1 capable players playing D3, just saying as far as a TITLE it is NOW the one place where there is a title that sort of does signify upper athletes D1.
That D1 top classification is an appealing goal for a percentage of athletes. Along with academic goals.

As to the discussion of going to d3's...
Generally (what I have noticed)
private schools are more expensive than a heck of a lot of D1s.
So to those conversations about scholarship money and how valuable it is...
Thought to bring a broader discussion about the costs of d1s and d3s.

Perhaps people can post more detail about that cost comparison. Being that scholarship money is available in the same categories as D1 and D3. But D1 also has athletic money. And could be D1 is substantially cheaper to attend.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It’s the parents. It makes them feel better.

I once worked with a lady who would say things like “I raised D1 athletes”. That is until I pointed out in front of the same crowd she was bragging to that her DDs played D2 and they didn’t even have a field of their own. College team had to rent a HS field for games and practices.

Usually I would ignore this stuff. But she was saying it in a way that she was better then other parents who were talking about their kids playing at a community college. Plus I don’t think she knew that I was in the softball “community” and knew who she was.

Aug 5, 2022
I have an academically solid but not gifted daughter. She is athletically gifted. We are financially sound enough that there would be no need based aid. I have a husband that graduated a d3 football program with a ton of debt for the same reasons. We said early on that d3 would not be an option for her. We would have considered all other levels because while we anticipated she would earn some academic aid we knew it would not be significant compared to tuition. Our goal was for her choose a solid academic experience at a school where she could graduate with little debt and enjoy playing softball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have an academically solid but not gifted daughter. She is athletically gifted. We are financially sound enough that there would be no need based aid. I have a husband that graduated a d3 football program with a ton of debt for the same reasons. We said early on that d3 would not be an option for her. We would have considered all other levels because while we anticipated she would earn some academic aid we knew it would not be significant compared to tuition. Our goal was for her choose a solid academic experience at a school where she could graduate with little debt and enjoy playing softball.

What’s her goal?

The limited number of scholarships available to a softball team almost guarantees your DD will need to come up with 10-20,000 dollars a year to attend a D1 college. And that’s after her scholarship money. Unless she is a very skilled pitcher who will start right away or a SS or Catcher who also hits with power.

Aug 5, 2022
What’s her goal?

The limited number of scholarships available to a softball team almost guarantees your DD will need to come up with 10-20,000 dollars a year to attend a D1 college. And that’s after her scholarship money. Unless she is a very skilled pitcher who will start right away or a SS or Catcher who also hits with power.

Her interest are ever changing but for now she’s planning to be a business major and will sign her NLI next month. Her athletic/academic combo will allow her to graduate debt free. We do have a college fund that she will be able to use for summer classes or a 5th year or grad school whatever she needs or we will transfer it to our other child. If not for the athletic money she would be graduating with nearly 50k in debt to attend the school she has chosen even after the money we saved was used which we would have advised her against as her parents and encouraged her to choose an in state option. So for her, the money involved in the division 1 level of softball was the right choice.

May 13, 2023
Her interest are ever changing but for now she’s planning to be a business major and will sign her NLI next month. Her athletic/academic combo will allow her to graduate debt free.
✔️👍

We do have a college fund that she will be able to use for summer classes or a 5th year or grad school whatever she needs or we will transfer it to our other child. If not for the athletic money she would be graduating with nearly 50k in debt to attend the school she has chosen even after the money we saved was used which we would have advised her against as her parents and encouraged her to choose an in state option. So for her, the money involved in the division 1 level of softball was the right choice.

Congratulations!!!

Apr 8, 2019
What’s her goal?

This is what I would like to know. How many well-known softball athletes have successful careers outside of softball once they graduate? Just like several people have said on this form before. Look at the majors of the athletes at the top D1 softball schools and their playing time. This will tell you a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles