Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Lots of outdoor free options. For folks that have a real winter outdoor, free options will not be viable many months out of the year.

May 27, 2013
Nuwin, simply got to a discussion point of what Income Would Have Made Instruction substantial in your perspective 🤷‍♀️ definitely did not take it as an argument.

There are so many other expenses/debt that would need to be taken into account which can vary greatly from person to person that one general income amount can not be identified.

May 13, 2023
There are so many other expenses/debt that would need to be taken into account which can vary greatly from person to person that one general income amount can not be identified.
and a good reason to pay attention to different situations.
Because what $pay$ is not appealing to one person may BE appealing to another.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
and a good reason to pay attention to different situations.
Because what $pay$ is not appealing to one person may BE appealing to another.

It really has nothing to do with what pay is “appealing.” Definitely hope that people are paying attention with the current housing costs and interest rates. The unfortunate issue is that a good majority of people are one critical illness away from circling the finance drain. Yes, it’s a crappy way to look at things but it’s a reality for many.

May 13, 2023
It really has nothing to do with what pay is “appealing.” Definitely hope that people are paying attention with the current housing costs and interest rates. The unfortunate issue is that a good majority of people are one critical illness away from circling the finance drain. Yes, it’s a crappy way to look at things but it’s a reality for many.
Appears you are talking about a lot more than what I was referencing about instructor pay scale is not the bottom pay scale.

🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️Zoooooooom movin on...

May 27, 2013
Appears you are talking about a lot more than what I was referencing about instructor pay scale is not the bottom pay scale.

🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️Zoooooooom movin on...

Just trying to say that there are lots of things to consider if one wants to rely on that for a career. That is all. I agree as a supplemental income it can be a great gig.

Sep 18, 2017
……and just to give the other side of this - yes, most D1’s have a lot of majors, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best school for a specific major. Plus, for research-based majors, undergrads might have to compete with masters students to be on projects or to gain valuable internships or lab time on campus. This isn’t the case at D3’s where there are mostly only undergrads at a good portion of schools. It sometimes isn’t as simple as just finding a school that has your major.

Many academic scholarships can offer just as much, and in many cases, even more than athletic money. Plus, they are good for all four years if you retain a certain GPA. Athletic money can change year to year.

Also, don’t underestimate the amount of travel for games that some D3 conferences require. The one team in my DD’s conference is 7 hours away. Closest one is probably about 2.5 hours away. Most are about 3-5 hours away, all by bus. They play a DH on Sat and again on Sunday, with another DH during the week. If it is an “away” weekend, they play a DH at one school and then travel to the next school immediately after the games. Yes, definitely less games than D1, but still can be a grind. When they are in-season their social life is extremely limited. It definitely is not easy at any level.

I agree with previous posters who state that academics should be the main driving force when choosing a particular school, but I can understand why some want the D1 athletic experience. It truly is a very personal decision.
I have kids at all levels, and you are 100% spot on here (Travel). The D3 player doesn't have a cakewalk when it comes to her program. And aside from the travel, as much as you hear that if you go play for a D1 program "they own you" - again, its not a cakewalk at this D3. Her fall schedule was pretty demanding as my D1 player. She was up at 6AM for conditioning , then classes, afternoon strength training , and then a 2 1/2 team practice starting late afternoon. It nearly matched my D1s schedule.

Sep 18, 2017
……and just to give the other side of this - yes, most D1’s have a lot of majors, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best school for a specific major. Plus, for research-based majors, undergrads might have to compete with masters students to be on projects or to gain valuable internships or lab time on campus. This isn’t the case at D3’s where there are mostly only undergrads at a good portion of schools. It sometimes isn’t as simple as just finding a school that has your major.

Many academic scholarships can offer just as much, and in many cases, even more than athletic money. Plus, they are good for all four years if you retain a certain GPA. Athletic money can change year to year.

Also, don’t underestimate the amount of travel for games that some D3 conferences require. The one team in my DD’s conference is 7 hours away. Closest one is probably about 2.5 hours away. Most are about 3-5 hours away, all by bus. They play a DH on Sat and again on Sunday, with another DH during the week. If it is an “away” weekend, they play a DH at one school and then travel to the next school immediately after the games. Yes, definitely less games than D1, but still can be a grind. When they are in-season their social life is extremely limited. It definitely is not easy at any level.

I agree with previous posters who state that academics should be the main driving force when choosing a particular school, but I can understand why some want the D1 athletic experience. It truly is a very personal decision.
** yes, most D1’s have a lot of majors, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best school for a specific major.**

This was 100% my D3 Daughters case. The D1 schools she considered were not able to support her field of study (Butler, Dayton, etc etc). Additionally her current school in her field of study is a Top 10% in the Nation across the board.

Again, this was really the emphasis of my post about school / education should (imo) weigh heavily.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
** yes, most D1’s have a lot of majors, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best school for a specific major.**

This was 100% my D3 Daughters case. The D1 schools she considered were not able to support her field of study (Butler, Dayton, etc etc). Additionally her current school in her field of study is a Top 10% in the Nation across the board.

Again, this was really the emphasis of my post about school / education should (imo) weigh heavily.
If you don't mind, what did she study and how did the money break down at the D3 school?

Oct 4, 2018

... and it's been that way since the dawn of time. American especially seem good at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles