Time for a video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Even though golf clips make me queazy, that guy makes a relevant point... "get the body out of the way". Where have I heard that before?
I don’t know why we keep coming back to this topic. Seems that someone hasn’t embraced the Hanson Principle quite yet. Either that or someone seems to keep looking for an excuse for why they teach having the rear elbow widely displaced from the side of the body.

It is not the case that girls need to have their rear elbow further away from the side of their body because they have breasts.

See if this video helps explain things a bit.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Agreed, the lyrics don't match the song on this one. Maybe a mistype? It looks like the back strap(posterior oblique) catches the barrel.
There's a disconnect between the bolded text and what Miggy is doing in the clip you posted. Did you mean tip instead of untip? If so, what triggers the untip? And are you saying that the same core relaxation event both untips the bat and starts taking the barrel to the ball?

May 3, 2014
Good catch - should have written "as the front foot is on the way down." Yes the core relaxation untips the barrel and allows the slings to really work.

You start to lengthen/shorten the anterior/posterior slings with an engaged core - but once you relax the core everything will then enter the final part stretch/shortening cycle.

If the hitter senses they are late they can relax the core sooner and start the swing sooner - if they are early the core relaxation allows the slings to work longer if needed.

It is a teach that the hitters should hold the core engagement until the feel gravity taking hold - meaning they don't want to take the tipped barrel to toe touch.

There's a disconnect between the bolded text and what Miggy is doing in the clip you posted. Did you mean tip instead of untip? If so, what triggers the untip? And are you saying that the same core relaxation event both untips the bat and starts taking the barrel to the ball?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FiveFrameSwing:
I don’t know why we keep coming back to this topic. Seems that someone hasn’t embraced the Hanson Principle quite yet. Either that or someone seems to keep looking for an excuse for why they teach having the rear elbow widely displaced from the side of the body.

It is not the case that girls need to have their rear elbow further away from the side of their body because they have breasts.

sndu35.gif

Now I'm confused.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Does it feel that way to you? The shortening posterior sling of the rear lat to front glute?

Is the initial grab?

I key in on the hands being grabbed by the lengthening anterior sling once I release my core. Words aren't easy to describe. But, it's like the hands just get sling shotted through with hardly any effort. Sometimes it will even feel like I have to slow it down to make an adjustment. Which can only happen if my core really stabilizes.

It looks like the back strap(posterior oblique) catches the barrel.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Exactly, allow the core/slings and some APT to be responsible for the barrel changing directions not the arms. This is the balanced forward yet back reactions. The barrel is working behind You on autopilot.

33p5wjk.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
sndu35.gif

Now I'm confused.....:rolleyes:

This is exactly what Bustos teaches. She wants the elbow to lead out front as you see here.

This is how she wants the arm to 'travel'.

You see that late out front wrist flick ... that is intentional ... she's actually teaching that ... she relates it to the elbow leading in the throw and a wrist snapping out front.

Does this look familiar now?

2i05g5z.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This is exactly what Bustos teaches. She wants the elbow to lead out front as you see here.

This is how she wants the arm to 'travel'.

You see that late out front wrist flick ... that is intentional ... she's actually teaching that ... she relates it to the elbow leading in the throw and a wrist snapping out front.

Does this look familiar now?

2i05g5z.jpg
sndu35.gif

I am happy to take advice from an Olympic champion
That's why I was confused. Thanks for getting me out of the 'rabbit hole'.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog