Time for a video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Overcooking barrel turn has been the main subject here for a while. Putting it ahead of a good sequence can lead the stuck elbow and poor weight shift.

Yes, the barrel gets turned. It gets turned with direction after the lower half via the slings clear/lead.

There are multiple issues that could lead to getting ‘stuck’.

Excessive tension.

Overcooking fusion.

And this may create a bit of a stir …. But overdoing a “good thing” can actually be a “bad thing” … and that includes overdoing “turning the barrel” and performing it outside of the scope of what is intended (or at least what I believe should be intended). You can overdo "turning the barrel" to the point of getting stuck.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Overcooking barrel turn has been the main subject here for a while. Putting it ahead of a good sequence can lead the stuck elbow and poor weight shift.

Yes, the barrel gets turned. It gets turned with direction after the lower half via the slings clear/lead.

QOpvxn.gif

I don't see this hitter 'turning the barrel to the ball'/over cooking the barrel turn. This hitter turns her body to the ball with a lot of forward hand movement to the ball. More of a 'Merry-go-around' swing by the look of the ball into the left of the net.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
I was just agreeing with FiveFrameSwing's post. There was no implying anything about this hitter wrt turning the barrel.

QOpvxn.gif

I don't see this hitter 'turning the barrel to the ball'/over cooking the barrel turn. This hitter turns her body to the ball with a lot of forward hand movement to the ball. More of a 'Merry-go-around' swing by the look of the ball into the left of the net.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
not using the diagonal slings - using ipsilateral muscle action
Overcooking barrel turn
Overcooking fusion

WOW!!! Some of you hitting guys are really smart.....Great terms to teach young ladies and there parents
Or better yet posting videos of someone else talking.

I'm super impressed at your knowledge

SL

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Maybe I didn't explain what I meant by hands higher. Really just a starting point when she enters the box and is ready.

I understand what ya'll or saying and thanks for clarifing. My DD was starting low and going lower. Not necessarilly what the original OP was doing, but something that helped my DD get her hands in a better position when turning the barrel.

zu2pma.gif

May 3, 2014
Maybe you should relax. It is the technical forum and I have posted numerous times the cues I use when with a hitter.

not using the diagonal slings - using ipsilateral muscle action
Overcooking barrel turn
Overcooking fusion

WOW!!! Some of you hitting guys are really smart.....Great terms to teach young ladies and there parents
Or better yet posting video of someone else talking.

I'm super impressed at your knowledge

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Let me try, even though I don't measure up to that kind of talk.
Elbow placement in the swing.
Inside pitch, rotate hips, belly button all the way open before releasing the barrel to impact, release underneath. Bat will be parallel to contact. Elbow will slot close to body.
Outside pitch, rotate hips and bellybutton towards target, arm will slot away from body, knob goes out over plate.

How to know how far to slot your elbow for a girl away from your body. Set up in your stance and pull on a rope held by a person behind you. Slot in different positions to what feels the strongest for pitch's down the middle.
The slot spacing will be your own.
Boys/men can slot closer than girls because of body type/built.

If you give lessons to girls this is something you should know.

Straightleg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00