Help! I want a DIY backyard bullpen for my pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2022
Hi all. We are making way for our 12u pitcher to have enough room in the backyard to practice her pitching. Right now it is basically a dirt lot. I was thinking of just getting St. Augustine installed on the whole thing and then nailing in a mound and dropping down home plate. i know there are so many options as for as putting in turf or concrete or fake grass.. I was wondering what you guys have done that worked for you..pictures if posaible! P.S. we have two large dogs to consider. Thanks!!

Aug 3, 2022
Been there. I created a 20x10x10 pitching cage from scratch. The things I learned. It will not be used as much as you think unless your daughter is exceptionally motivated or threatened. Even if exceptionally motivated, it may be used for hitting more than pitching, adjust materials accordingly. A ball through a gap that breaks a neighbors window costs as much as a ball over a bownet that breaks a neighbors window. Mowing around a static cage it is more problematic than anticipated. Rabbits like to chew on expensive netting - invest in zip-ties for repairing holes. Hitting vinyl siding in cold weather is a guaranteed replacement. Don't use your house or your neighbor's house as a backstop.

Jul 31, 2022
Thanks for the warnings! We pitch 5 days a week but definitely concerned about how much use it will get over time as interests fluctuate. Luckily I have a baseball pitcher too so my odds go up!

Feb 7, 2016
1660308849116.png

I built this batting gage with the intent to have the ability to raise the net up on the left side so that a pitcher could pitch into the cage. That's why I did not add a third support pole on the left side. My daughter is a catcher and occasionally gets asked to catch for one of our pitchers for their lessons. I just wanted to have that option. After two years, it was never used for pitching...just hitting. Net dimensions: 12ft H x 14ft W x 35ft L

May 17, 2012
So this is going to vary by your yard size and setup but I would really try and keep this simple for pitching.

You need a home plate and a pitching plate and that's it. Depending on your soil you may need to mix in something around the plate as she will make a hole/mess over time. Cooking oil spray on the cleats helps with dirt/mug when it's wet.

I wouldn't worry about grass/batters box/cage. A nice bucket to sit on for the catcher and a bownet for a backstop if you want but I wouldn't bother.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Hi all. We are making way for our 12u pitcher to have enough room in the backyard to practice her pitching. Right now it is basically a dirt lot. I was thinking of just getting St. Augustine installed on the whole thing and then nailing in a mound and dropping down home plate. i know there are so many options as for as putting in turf or concrete or fake grass.. I was wondering what you guys have done that worked for you..pictures if posaible! P.S. we have two large dogs to consider. Thanks!!

You won't need a mound ... Just sayin'

Aug 3, 2022
Thanks for the warnings! We pitch 5 days a week but definitely concerned about how much use it will get over time as interests fluctuate. Luckily I have a baseball pitcher too so my odds go up!
I used structural galvanized steel pipe and associated fittings (can be found at most Lowes stores). 3/4" for uprights and cross beams. Cut, tapered and pounded into the ground 1" pipe so the cage could be disassembled in the winter. Sections of 10x10 netting with the edges wrapped together with rope to make larger sections is cheaper than one large section. For a backstop, I used light filtering netting. It's stronger than regular netting, heavy enough that it drops a ball quickly, and gives less distraction behind the plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00