Simply frustrated - opportunities for playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I’ll admit, she’s not the most graceful human in the planet,
This may not seem like it should make a difference as long as she is making the play (and it probably shouldn't)..but coaches are human and it does, in particular in tryouts...How big is she? Does she play any other sports?

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Unless you have made some connections on other teams your next choice is tryouts. Do some homework. What team did you play against that could use a player like DD? Does the HC seem to be the kind of person DD would want to play for? Are fees an issue?

I will say that DD should hustle during the tryouts and try to be first in line for everything. Good luck!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Tryouts are beginning to be posted. And she is making a list of those she is interested in. In our area though, there aren’t a lot of strong teams that go and play bigger tournaments. Most of them stick around and play the same tournaments every weekend rather than hunting out stronger competition. That is the biggest hurdle right now. That, and friendships with some of the girls on the current team.

I, for one, agree with favorites on the team. It’s like it’s the original team and everyone else is just there for numbers. They will never break into the scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So would you rather be the 12th player on a iffy team who gets trounced at big tourneys. Or a regular player at an iffy team who plays and maybe wins the occasional little tourney?

get your dd playing time, develop her skills. Then worry about how big the stage is.

Jul 14, 2019
So would you rather be the 12th player on a iffy team who gets trounced at big tourneys. Or a regular player at an iffy team who plays and maybe wins the occasional little tourney?

get your dd playing time, develop her skills. Then worry about how big the stage is.

No, that’s not at all what i said! What i want to be is a player who contributes my strengths to a good team. I want to improve because of my team, but i want my team to improve because of me. “Iron sharpens iron”

Jul 14, 2019
This may not seem like it should make a difference as long as she is making the play (and it probably shouldn't)..but coaches are human and it does, in particular in tryouts...How big is she? Does she play any other sports?

I get it.

Shes basically a 16 year old amongst a field of 11 year olds. Fully developed.

May 6, 2015
travel team absolutely needs 2 viable catchers, who should each see significant time. A third is helpful, bu hard to get enough reps for three really (DD was third catcher on one team, we left to find more playing time), ideal situation is you have a third girls who is willing to and competent enough to be used in emergency situations.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
travel team absolutely needs 2 viable catchers, who should each see significant time. A third is helpful, bu hard to get enough reps for three really (DD was third catcher on one team, we left to find more playing time), ideal situation is you have a third girls who is willing to and competent enough to be used in emergency situations.

Yep, when you have 3 catchers, one is basically the "fill in when primary catcher is exhausted" and bullpen catcher. If she wants to catch, go to a team where she can catch between 40-60% of the innings. In the summer, it's great for catchers to rotate in back-to-back games. We just left a team that had four catchers (one was a shortstop would could catch, but she is HC's daughter and NEVER sits). It wasn't that way at the beginning of the year. Two of them were brought on later, so adios amigos.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We are going to change teams, that’s a given. But dang, what’s the secret here to be seen as a potentially great addition to your defense instead of assumed you can’t do any better than what’s out there?

I hate these stories.

Coaches need about 12 kids to consistently field a team. The good coaches work hard to make all 12 kids competitive, and they give each kid playing time.

The bad coaches do what they are doing to your DD: They mislead parents just to keep a kid on the team.

Your coaches, for whatever reason, already had their starting nine picked, and your DD is not one of them.

Run.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
I hate these stories.

Coaches need about 12 kids to consistently field a team. The good coaches work hard to make all 12 kids competitive, and they give each kid playing time.

The bad coaches doe what they are doing to your DD: They mislead parents just to keep a kid on the team.

Your coaches, for whatever reason, already had their starting nine picked, and your DD is not one of them.

Run.

Yes! I’m also frustrated that I was stupid enough to fall for it this whole time. And now that I’m ready to run, my DD is saying she wants to finish the season (1 big road trip tournament left) because she made a commitment to the team and they might need her. It breaker my heart!

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Ask a ton of questions at tryouts.
- Do all kids play and hit in bracket play?
- How do you manage playing time?
- Do you try to play everyone on elimination day?
- What is most important to the coach? Making every kid better by the end of the year, having fun while learning, or collecting plastic?
My DD played for a very competitive club. But the coaches still were very fair about playing time up and down the roster. Granted, every girls could play but some were still better than others. If they're not playing, they're not having fun or learning the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles