Time for a video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Where did this become a girls vs boys elbow slot discussion. The discussion was about the rear elbow stalling. You seem to agree that the elbow shouldn't stall but have taken a combative tone because I used the word ipsilateral?

Let me try, even though I don't measure up to that kind of talk.
Elbow placement in the swing.
Inside pitch, rotate hips, belly button all the way open before releasing the barrel to impact, release underneath. Bat will be parallel to contact. Elbow will slot close to body.
Outside pitch, rotate hips and bellybutton towards target, arm will slot away from body, knob goes out over plate.

How to know how far to slot your elbow for a girl away from your body. Set up in your stance and pull on a rope held by a person behind you. Slot in different positions to what feels the strongest for pitch's down the middle.
The slot spacing will be your own.
Boys/men can slot closer than girls because of body type/built.

If you give lessons to girls this is something you should know.

Straightleg

May 3, 2014
Is this what you mean by Nypseylateral?

View attachment 6775

Or this:

NormanChaney.jpg

Jul 11, 2011
Great info guys. She hits the ball hard but in my mind I know it doesn't "look just right" if you know what I mean. I can feel the around the body you guys are talking about. We have hit outside tee a bunch and it helps some. It's like she doesn't understand how to coil, or at least that's how I feel. I mean she is crazy flexible to start with. She can turn way back but not actually coil up while doing it. I don't know how to make her understand how to use her coil or use opposing forces to create a stretch. What do you guys recommend in regards to fixing the "merry go round" swing?

May 3, 2014
Leerph,

What I teach is that the front foot lifts to cock the leg but you do it with your core muscles. As you do this you let the hands kind of pump downwards to tip the barrel slightly - it doesn't have to be a big move it more like a gather type move.

Miggy_Side_ST.gif

A cue I will give my hitters is to try and get the front hip under the belly button as you cock the front leg. You can't actually do this, but it creates a tight feeling that helps recruit the core muscles.

This also helps the hitter pivot into the rear hip like Cabrera and not just shift towards the catcher.

When you start moving your front foot towards the ground (feel like gravity is taking hold) - the barrel will start to untip - as you are already starting to pull back the hands so that you lengthen/stretch these muscles:

versus_anterior_sling-275x300.jpg

At the same time you are also shortening/contracting the rear lat and front glute sling on posterior side of your body

safe_image.php

The moment you decide to start taking the barrel to the ball - your core muscles should already be relaxed to allow your lower half to lead the swing and your arms are free to direct the barrel to the ball.

At the moment of contact - you should try and engage the core muscles as quickly as you can so that at contact allof your muscle energy is directed out the arms and into contact. And then just as quickly as the ball leaves the bat relax the core again so that you can follow through.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don’t know why we keep coming back to this topic. Seems that someone hasn’t embraced the Hanson Principle quite yet. Either that or someone seems to keep looking for an excuse for why they teach having the rear elbow widely displaced from the side of the body.

It is not the case that girls need to have their rear elbow further away from the side of their body because they have breasts.

See if this video helps explain things a bit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Leerph,

Miggy_Side_ST.gif

When you start moving your front foot towards the pitcher to stride - the barrel will start to untip - and you will pull back the hands so that you lengthen/stretch these muscles:

There's a disconnect between the bolded text and what Miggy is doing in the clip you posted. Did you mean tip instead of untip? If so, what triggers the untip? And are you saying that the same core relaxation event both untips the bat and starts taking the barrel to the ball?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413