The swagger thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You are welcome JJs.

As for ‘swagger’ and ‘practical hitting forum’ … yes, IMO the promotion of proper hitting mechanics goes hand-in-hand with the development of confidence.

Your daughter is young. At this age one of the primary aspects to be extracted is a positive experience in the introduction of a youth sport. Sounds like you are on top of that.

At this age such swing issues are common. The goal is to get them corrected over time. The promotion of being over confident can, for some kids, be thought of as contradictory to the goal of needing to improve. After all, you are teaching them to improve their mechanics, so some will perceive that they aren’t currently where they need to be … and that can spill over to a feeling of being less than optimally confident. The reality is that many folks attempt to improve in their endeavors throughout a large portion of their life … and that, IMO, is an important lesson that can be encouraged through youth sports.

Oct 19, 2009
This is how we approach an upcoming bat.

One thing to remember is your mind can not process a negative thought so keep the thought process positive. Always talk yourself into getting a hit not out of it – If you go to plate thinking don’t strikeout this is what you will do so think positive. If you think (don’t swing at the rise) this is what you will do, a better thought (see it low) (see it low).

If I tell you don’t think of a pink elephant, don’t think of a pink elephant. What did you think off? A pink elephant, always positive.

When you are the 4th batter coming up sit on the bench with helmet on and study the pitcher (release point, motion and ETC) read the defense and thinks positive thoughts about upcoming at bat and make a plan for what you are going to do.

In the hole hitter stretches loosens up and continues to observe pitcher while reading the defense.

On deck the batter works on timing the pitcher; a picture taken of the hitter in the box and hitter on deck bat position should be the same. Do not worry who is in the stands only think of the upcoming at bat.

Think Red light – Green light (Red light think of non-softball stuff) (Green light think of only softball stuff-such as upcoming bat).

Hitting you should have a routine you do ever at bat, be thinking CRUSH THIS – CRUCH THIS or TRACT IT AND WHACK IT or something in the hitting process no don’t or can’t or any negative thoughts. :cool:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks. We will start working on some hitting drills soon. Working on her mechanics hadn't occurred to me yet. I was too busy over inflating her ego to worry about such things before but I see what you are talking about.

So I got your point, be careful of promoting confidence or you end up like Manny. Good stuff as usual FFS. Reminds me of the sage advice you gave, when I got the Rev Fire of being careful not to ruing older DDs pitching by measuring her spin.

If you want to chime in on something I post go for it, but please stay on topic or start your own thread about ruining kids by making them too confident. I am really interested in seeing other posters kids plate presence, I enjoyed the ones posted so far so please respect the thread and stay on topic.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks. We will start working on some hitting drills soon. Working on her mechanics hadn't occurred to me yet. I was too busy over inflating her ego to worry about such things before but I see what you are talking about.

So I got your point, be careful of promoting confidence or you end up like Manny. Good stuff as usual FFS. Reminds me of the sage advice you gave, when I got the Rev Fire of being careful not to ruing older DDs pitching by measuring her spin.

If you want to chime in on something I post go for it, but please stay on topic or start your own thread about ruining kids by making them too confident. I am really interested in seeing other posters kids plate presence, I enjoyed the ones posted so far so please respect the thread and stay on topic.

JJs, you can twist the message if you wish, but I never stated that "measuring" a pitcher's spin rate ruins their pitching.

A bit of honesty would be appreciated.

A more truthful comment would have been that a pure focus on spin rate enhancement, while ignoring other factors, can (and has) degraded pitcher's abilities.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...being careful not to ruing older DDs pitching by measuring her spin.

A more truthful comment would have been that a pure focus on spin rate enhancement, while ignoring other factors, can (and has) degraded pitcher's abilities.

You're accusing JJ of not being honest? Really???

Although I wasn't part of the pitching conversation originally, I would bet that JJ's intent in his statement is exactly what you just said.

Relax, man.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You're accusing JJ of not being honest? Really???

Although I wasn't part of the pitching conversation originally, I would bet that JJ's intent in his statement is exactly what you just said.

Relax, man.

EricF, I'm quite relaxed.

Note that JJs makes a request to stay on topic, while he himself goes wildly off topic.

It's a game some folks play. Why? I have no idea.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJs, you can twist the message if you wish, but I never stated that "measuring" a pitcher's spin rate ruins their pitching.

A bit of honesty would be appreciated.

Got it. Can I just concede the round now and get back to the topic? You got me FFS, I was being dishonest and derailing the thread. My bad. Can we stop now and get someone else to post an AB of their kid. If you want you can participate and post an AB of one of your student's swag.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
I'll make a contribution to the swag thread. My camera work sucks and I'm normally too focused on her when she is up to remember to take some video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar