As the sun sets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I'm not crying! It's my allergies!
Best of luck to you and your family. I hope she will still play catch with you when you get together:)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Nothing is greater, than sharing a sports experience with your kids. GDD was lined up with 3 ten years olds, and she wanted a turn last night. DD showed up and played with GDD (and coached her), on the next field. She is 4 1/2. It makes me happy, when she asks me to play softball with her.

The cliques of women's sports are awful - and have always been there, at least since the time that I turned 16 (1970). The coaches seem to have no control over them, especially if they are in need of players. (Which it sounds like in Alex's case.)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks for giving us a view from the final mile marker. It made me cry a little too. Then I had the thought that you are just taking a little break. God willing, In about 10 years you will be playing catch with your grand daughter.

Aug 2, 2013
This is my favorite post of all time.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
You're part of a select group, those of us who year after year got up at 5am on a Saturday
during the summer and drove out of town with our child, got breakfast to go, talked and ate,
got to the field and they warmed up while we sat around until the games started, lived and died
with every pitch or at bat, congratulated or consoled them on the drive back home.
I loved all of it. Travel ball created a connection between us that I never could have imagined.
Love those photos.
Thanks and best wishes,
BD

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Well, I hope you stick around, your insight into the sport has been great for all of us. As my DD is in the middle of her 2nd year 14U season, I find myself trying to savor every moment, I know it will be over in a flash.

Congratulations on her going to UT Medical, that is amazing. Her life is just beginning and she is going to go on to do great things!!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
GD - thank you so much for sharing your story. My DD is only in 8th grade so we will hopefully have many of these days ahead of us. But I know at some point it will come to an end. I am already sad thinking about it. Although you may have completed one part of the journey, you have wonderful memories to share for the rest of your life. And who knows, maybe some grandchildren will bring some brand new journeys to share together.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Maybe I'm just going thru a mid-life crisis and grabbing for anything to spend time together?

So what if you are? It's not a bad thing! Do what you can with her while you have the opportunity. Just spend time with your kids and enjoy the time you have. Who cares what others may think.

Enjoyed your story. We all know this day is coming. Sooner for some of us than others, but eventually the day will come when our DD's leave the field for good.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I concur - time to buy that boat!

In the end, it's about raising a strong, happy, independent adult who knows herself and has the confidence to go where her gut takes her. My daughter is so different from me - in a way it has been hard watching her go in directions that I never would have taken, but deep inside, she's a survivor. She isn't the kid that I'm going to worry about - the one whose life decisions always hinge upon what others want for her. It sounds like your daughter is the same. She has a bright future ahead of her - UT is a great school. Two of my cousins went there and loved it. They still live in the area. My grandparents, originally from Michigan, retired to Knoxville after trying a year in Florida. My grampa always said that Knoxville had the perfect climate with something for everyone.

Anyway I hope you do stick around! You have great insight and an even better sense of humor. You can always make us stressed out sports parents laugh :)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Great post, Your days of watching her compete and cheering her on are certainly not over, It just wont be on the softball field. Aside from all the mechanics and fundamentals the most important things you have taught and instilled in her you will be watching her put to use in the game of life. Celebrate Brutha, best stuff is still in the windshield, not the rearview.