As the sun sets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I had a lump in my throat reading your post...then I got to your pics. That's when the tears welled up. You should be proud that you were there for her every step of the way. I don't really know you but when one of our DDs leaves the game we all feel it. Good luck to her continued success. Life doesn't end when the game does but the game is what will get her through some tough times of her life.

Mar 26, 2013
GD - I wish your DD a full recovery so she lives her life injury-free and with no regrets. I also hope you both find ways to help others in the game - there are LOTS of options and opportunities out there. You just have to figure out what you want to do.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
GD: You fotta get the boat man! Big motor for skiing, small motor to move around when bass fishing & a double ice chest to keep those adult beverages cold so you stay " hydrated".

Thanks for sharing and stay on board here.

Best of luck to your DD and family GD, what you have gone through is a hard thing to get over, you have had softball in your life a long time and your DD's most of her life. My oldest DD is a year away from playing at the college level and my little DD is 3 years away and I know it will be gone in the blink of an eye. I just hope I can handle it as well as you have.

Jun 24, 2013
I was once told "You can have a boat or you can have money, you can't have both" but now I wonder if they weren't really talking about "You can have a child on a travel team or you can have money, but you can't have both".

Buy the boat, make "one more" season of memories. Maybe the worst thing you do is end up selling the boat later and taking a financial loss, but creating an emotional win. I know that once they gain their freedom and learn how to fly, the trips to the nest become fewer.

2 of my 3 DD's are out of commission right now due to injuries and I hope they get better soon. It is killing both of us to go to practices and have them sit around and watch.

Dec 11, 2010
GD thanks for bringing us along. It is greatly appreciated.

I don't know exactly why, but I'm reminded of Andre Agassi's excellent autobiography. He lived and played through enormous pain. On match day he would first think. "Please let this be over. Then: I'm not ready for it to be over."

Posts like yours remind me to soak up every minute of the ride. I feel sorry for those parents who only have boats and vacation houses and ski trips, they are missing out on so much.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think at some point in DDs career you realize how much you have enjoyed this. Inevitably you turn to the thought of it ending and you know it will be a sad day. I am drinking in all that I can these next few years and hope DD is enjoying it as much as me. Thanks for sharing GD and I hope your DD recovers quickly.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Thanks for sharing. It definitely brings tears to my eyes as well having lived through it ... the last day of my DD's college career, the DD, her mom, and I all cried like babies. I have been fortunate to get the opportunity to continue to coach with my daughter which is great, but still not the same. :(

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
everyone on this forum will face this sometime (many very soon).
As prepared as I am now, in 18 months it will be a tough task, I am sure.
DD and I are very close as a result of our softball ride. It is this closeness that we
can always fall back on. After all folks, this is what memories are made of....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30