Saturday school vs. tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IAnyway, that being said, I know my dd's team really counts on her to be at the tournaments more than the school counts on her to be in class.

This is a good point that I was afraid to bring up. Not saying that we are looking for reasons to play ball Saturday. As of this morning, my DD was saying herself she expected to be in school. But coming through for someone who is counting on you also is important. Not that they wouldn't understand, but it is a team of 10 players. Her presence would be more greatly appreciated on the softball field than the classroom. If there is no ill effect academically, then the softball alternative must be considered, IMO.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DS is going on 12 school years of perfect attendance 1-12 grade. DD is working on 10 years of perfect attendance 1-10 grade. So, my children would be in school. School is important to us.

Not want to discount the accomplishments of your daughters but I have to ask the question. In the decade or so since they have started school have they never gotten sick or do they go to school regardless of their physical condition without regard to the effect they may have on the health of their classmates?

Jul 29, 2012
NC
I would think a lot of the schools would be in the same boat. Not just yours and the tournament director would adjust the schedule for this.

Our school system will also use Saturdays if we miss anymore.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not want to discount the accomplishments of your daughters but I have to ask the question. In the decade or so since they have started school have they never gotten sick or do they go to school regardless of their physical condition without regard to the effect they may have on the health of their classmates?

Knew that question would come up. Believe it or not when child got sick seemed to always be on the weekends (stomach virus).We have never sent our kids to school when sick nor do we keep the home for 'vacation' trips mid school year.

Jan 23, 2014
I am not sure what the penalty is for missing the day, but it looks like they have communicated about this possibility, so you know it's coming. It may not be the education you need, but you do need to learn about attendance, that is for sure. When my brothers company laid people off, they looked at who used the most leave (except for sick leave). And the bosses who made the decision often knew why the person took off, so the reason matters.

In our school system you can only miss school for a national level sport, such as Olympic trials or you are a ranked golfer. Our teams rarely if ever miss any classes for the HS sport, only during the play-offs, and still barely then.

Knowing my teachers, they would plan something for that day that you to be there for (no making it up), and missing it would mess up your grade.
If my kids were in your school system I think I would be homeschooling. Does your school have a track team? When I was in high school many track meets were during the week and often meant leaving before lunch.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...you do need to learn about attendance, that is for sure. When my brothers company laid people off, they looked at who used the most leave (except for sick leave). And the bosses who made the decision often knew why the person took off, so the reason matters...

With management techniques like that the fact they are having to lay off people is no surprise. You would think that they would keep the people that were the hardest working and most loyal. But instead they cut loose the employees who used the most leave. Leave that by all outward appearances they had earned. Interesting business practice. Must have missed that day in Business School while competing in some frivolous athletic activity. So I guess attendance does matter. :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
To run a successful business and school you must have employees and students attending on a daily bases. Those are the hardest workers and most loyal. Yes attendance matters. The same attendance that matters at practices and games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse