Saturday school vs. tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
I would consider how many days she has missed. If it is minimal, I would lean towards softball, as long as there isn't a test she would be missing, or if there is a class she has difficulty catching up with if she misses a day. Making up school on Saturday is the craziest thing I have ever heard! We add on days at the end of the year or shorten spring break. Plenty of kids have Saturday obligations that they can't change on a dime.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tough one. Although just in 8th grade, DD is very serious about her grades. She is a good student, but works at it. That said, if there was not a test or something else that would create a problem, we would go to the tournament.

Jan 25, 2011
Heck, you have the rest of your life to learn. I me shelve aint much for schooling in all. I done turned out just fine.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
School was canceled today because of ice and rescheduled for Saturday, the date of DD's first tournament.

What would you do? What factors would you consider?

No snow days? Our local school has 10 snow days in reserve. Even if they used all 10, they would extend the days during the week at the end. Never heard of of a system using Saturday. Always intriguing to hear how things are done elsewhere.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would lean towards softball if there were no critical school assignments on Saturday.....as I type this I am planning to check my DD out of school Friday afternoon to make it to her first tournament game of the season Friday night! Best thing my DW ever did was get my DD's class schedule rearranged so she had PE last period!!!!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
No snow days? Our local school has 10 snow days in reserve. Even if they used all 10, they would extend the days during the week at the end. Never heard of of a system using Saturday. Always intriguing to hear how things are done elsewhere.

This is a year-round school. Not sure exactly how it works because this is the first time it's happened and I haven't investigated the rules, but three things that I know - The county high schools (which have traditional calendars) are not in session on Saturday despite being canceled today; being year-round gives you less flexibility to find open days; and they've already missed some 5 days because of snow/ice. But my DD's particular track (there are 4 tracks, and 1 is always out of school) has missed only 1-2 days b/c of snow/ice. But it's hard to have makeup days that accommodate exactly the tracks that have missed. It's complicated.

DD has two teammates in the same school system, so I thought we'd be able to have some group think, but realized that those two are in high school, so they're not going Saturday. It's only middle/elementary students on the year-round schedule.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01