Saturday school vs. tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Assuming there are no tests or labs that she could not make up. I would let the school know ahead of time. And ask each teacher if there are any assignments or studying she needs to do during the weekend. Just so she doesn't fall behind.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Year-round school? Is your dd in any week long tournies or tournies that start on Thursday or Friday?

We moved to NC from GA in the summer of 2012, a year when the school system allowed you to ''pick'' one of four middle schools (although you weren't guaranteed you'd get your top choices). So this was around June. DD's Georgia team was playing in the USSSA World Series in 5 weeks. For that reason, our first two choices were 'traditional-calendar' schools to ensure that we'd get that week off. Naturally, we got our third choice - a year-round school. Very LUCKILY, my DD got on the track that was off that week, so off to Florida we go with no interruption.

We didn't have any tournaments that began sooner than Friday last year (although did take off an hour early Friday for one or two 6 p.m. Friday games). This year, we do have a one-week tournament scheduled (NSA World Series in Spartanburg), but she will be out of the 8th grade by then, and the high schools have traditional schedules, so there is no conflict.

But, for example, my DD will be in school all of June. And she was off two weeks in February (when it really snowed and led to the other tracks having to go to five Saturday days.)

We love this particular school. And really haven't minded the schedule - until now. :)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Anyhow, the rest of her teammates are from Wake and we had a scrimmage scheduled for Saturday. I wonder if the coach is going to call it off, or ask the parents if anyone intends on going to school that day.

Let me know how that plays out. At the moment, my DD is very hesitant to want to miss school, but they have school ball practice today, and weight of peer opinion will obviously be significant.

Jun 24, 2013
I with the majority of the replies, if she is taking care of her business in school I would let her play softball. Being able to not go to school for a day or 2 is one of the rewards for her doing a good job.

The players that are not taking care of business, no softball for you.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the academic rigors of a Saturday make up day will be quite minimal . Most of the kids and teachers will not want to be there and a good 10 minutes of every period will be consumed by complaints about being there. There will be a high absentee rate so teachers will dumb down the day. The school has to have a certain amount of days per year and this makes it legal. If one day of school makes or breaks their academic career they need to memorize the following:

You want fries with that?

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the academic rigors of a Saturday make up day will be quite minimal . Most of the kids and teachers will not want to be there and a good 10 minutes of every period will be consumed by complaints about being there. There will be a high absentee rate so teachers will dumb down the day. The school has to have a certain amount of days per year and this makes it legal. If one day of school makes or breaks their academic career they need to memorize the following:

You want fries with that?

What he said. Teachers are not going to accomplish much since everyone's internal clocks will be going WTF? and their attention spans will still be at home in bed like they do every Saturday (or in our case on the fields at tournaments LOL).

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
My D is a high school junior, attending private school. Due to the lousy winter, they had mid-term exams rescheculed and one of the test days was a saturday.

Private school - they make the rules - guess what- she missed her winter workout for her club team.

As her hitting coach (who played for the Maize & Blue) always tells her " Academics are 100x more important than sports".

Dec 7, 2011
I am gonna post my 2 cents then go back n see what others said. My personal bet to myself the answers went 50/50....

My opinion:
Assuming DD is serious about SB and on a TB-A team - I would and have not even blinked an eye on having my DD miss a day of school. The value of a day of public education is FAR LESS valuable to a wanna-be-college-bound-DD. I would even dare to say that the teachers union are so annoyed that they have to work Saturday that all the teachers are probably scheduling all-class-hour "educational" movies. TB-A is such a pragmatic tutor for a DD - go there!