Saturday school vs. tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've never heard of a district holding school on a Saturday. If this is a school thing then we get out for tournaments etc. during the week. I coach golf and our tournaments have to be mostly through the week because courses won't shut down for a HS tournament. If this is a TB then, what is the school policy on things like exams and how does your child do in class. That has to be the determining factors.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
Maybe a different approach, but I would sit down with DD and weigh the outcomes of each and let her decide. There is great value in letting a kid make an informed decision based on what the likely and potential outcomes will be depending on the choice they make.

I certainly don't undervalue education, I'm an elementary school principal and a high school wrestling coach so I see and understand the importance of both to the individual. My advice would be to let her decide and whatever she chooses, make the best of the situation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Maybe a different approach, but I would sit down with DD and weigh the outcomes of each and let her decide. There is great value in letting a kid make an informed decision based on what the likely and potential outcomes will be depending on the choice they make.

I certainly don't undervalue education, I'm an elementary school principal and a high school wrestling coach so I see and understand the importance of both to the individual. My advice would be to let her decide and whatever she chooses, make the best of the situation.

You are going to let your daughter make an informed decision based on likely and potential outcomes? Then I suppose you are going to hold her accountable for the decision she makes. That is just crazy talk.

You are who should be teaching our youth. :)

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
Why do teachers take there students on field trips?
Because they understand the value of educational opportunities outside the classroom.
The education that the girls get on a Saturday at the ball field is just as valuable as any classroom work.
They are learning leadership skills, problem solving, teamwork, commitment, sportsmanship and the list goes on. An
education in life skills that will balance with there scolastic education.

PLAY BALL

Feb 14, 2014
If my kids were in your school system I think I would be homeschooling. Does your school have a track team? When I was in high school many track meets were during the week and often meant leaving before lunch.

DS12 is in 7th grade and their track meets start at 3:15 on Thursdays. They left school at 1:30 to drive to the last one.

Dec 25, 2010
I know some of your daughters have hopes of playing college ball. If they can't miss a day..on a Saturday...to play ball, I don't know how theyre gonna handle long road trips at the next level

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
With technology today, there really isn't a reason that students can't leave class and miss an hour of instruction here and there. At our school we do so many different things with technology. For example, we have Edline and so, some of the notes, worksheets and class objectives for each day are listed there. Many of our teachers now have "Flipped Classrooms" where they video tape portions of their presentations, place that on our server where students have access to those videos and so, get portions of what is covered in class. I do think that the school I teach in is not typical for what schools are doing but it one reason why the school I teach in has been listed in Money Magazine as one of the "Top 100 Educational Values in America."

When athletes are going to be gone our last period, they are expected to get to school early and get information from their last hour teacher. Teachers are required in most school districts to be on the job 30 minutes before students arrive. When students in the fall miss a day of class for golf, they are expected to inform the teacher of their absence and find out what will be provided on Edline for them to do. Finally, as a teacher, I have never taken a field trip. So, I don't know what student have to do for that other than for my class, I set up the parameters for those student who do go on field trips in my classroom "Rules and Regulations."