Player safety when injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, this topic relates to something which occurred during a HS game today. I want to know how everyone feels about being at their daughter's games, and what would you do if she got injured.

Today's game saw our 3B take a wicked hop off the dirt to the face. The girl dropped to the ground writhing in obvious pain and bleeding profusely from her nose. The umpires stopped the game while our coaches tended to the injured player, and we waited for the athletic trainer to arrive from a different school in the district. It took the AT 15 minutes to arrive from their middle school, so the home team had no real first aid abilities until he arrived.

Because it was an away game, neither parent was there, so they finally got a hold of the father, but it took him 40 minutes to arrive. Once he got there, he rushed her to the hospital for X-rays, which showed a broken nose and possibly broken orbital.

My question to the group is A) would you let your daughter play a HS or MS game without a parent or guardian there after seeing how incompetent the coaches and trainers were? B) what is the protocol near you?

Sadly, our district lost a football player 10 years ago due to an injury sustained on the field at an away game. Neither parent was there, and he passed before they could get there to say good-bye.

Oct 25, 2009
I think EMS should have been called. Especially if she was bleeding profusely. Better safe than sorry. Insurance probably covers that call anyway.
I would let my DD play, with the understanding that first aid would be immediate and appropriate; not 15 minutes later!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I’ll take that one step further: What training is your travel program providing or requiring?
Can I assume you mean in regards to health and safety? If so, that's a good question. I know when I was a coach inside a larger baseball organization, we all had to have current CPR training and carry at least one first aid kit for the team.

What bothered me was neither of the coaches did anything. The opposing coach offered Band-Aids for her nose.

May 27, 2013
I agree with the above. Trainer should have told them to call 9-1-1 while he was on his way over - any blow to the face near the nose/eyes could be a potential head injury, as well. First aid kit/ice should be present at all times at the field.

EMS could have treated the patient at the scene (basic first aid) and transported her to the ER. If there was no available paperwork to state parent allows patient to be treated in the ER, the ER staff would call the parent to get verbal consent if a minor. Parent could then meet them at the ER.

With an injury like that I’d also not wait for the parent to arrive to drive the player to ER themselves. First off - both player and parent are upset, player’s condition could deteriorate, and/or parent is speeding and driving recklessly to get to ER. This is all coming from a former ER nurse so take it with a grain of salt.

Our HS had trainers who were present at our games. They had a golf cart they drove to get to the different fields. I know we had at least two who worked at the same time. It would not take 15 min at our school to get from one side of campus to the other on a golf cart.

I would propose a process change to the AD.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree with the above. Trainer should have told them to call 9-1-1 while he was on his way over - any blow to the face near the nose/eyes could be a potential head injury, as well. First aid kit/ice should be present at all times at the field.

EMS could have treated the patient at the scene (basic first aid) and transported her to the ER. If there was no available paperwork to state parent allows patient to be treated in the ER, the ER staff would call the parent to get verbal consent if a minor. Parent could then meet them at the ER.

With an injury like that I’d also not wait for the parent to arrive to drive the player to ER themselves. First off - both player and parent are upset, player’s condition could deteriorate, and/or parent is speeding and driving recklessly to get to ER. This is all coming from a former ER nurse so take it with a grain of salt.

Our HS had trainers who were present at our games. They had a golf cart they drove to get to the different fields. I know we had at least two who worked at the same time. It would not take 15 min at our school to get from one side of campus to the other on a golf cart.

I would propose a process change to the AD.
This was an away game, so it wasn't our district. We usually have the trainer driving between our fields, but they're all on the same campus. The AT at the other district was covering the MS and HS.

I saw pictures of her face that were taken at the hospital last night. She now looks like Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden.

Aug 5, 2022
I don’t think my kids have ever been at an event without me or their dad. I am a physician and have often been called to the field to administer basic first aid until appropriate staff can arrive. For travel ball I carry an extensive first aid kit and I’ve put tampons in noses, splinted arms, field dressed gashes that need stitches…all kinds of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut