Anyone Else Have This Issue with GC Livestream?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Was livestreaming from GC this weekend at a showcase. Use Mevo Plus and a mobile Wifi hotspot (Verizon). Signal was good. Broadcast in 720. In 5 games, never got indication that livestream had ended, etc. All good on my end. In two games, I had people contact me and say livestream was not visible. However, on my end everything looked good. The red button indicating the stream was live when I was scoring the game (separate device) was on. I would go over and look at my iPad and everything with the stream looked good.

So, last night I went in to look at the game video and three of the games are there in full. But two of the games only got 19 minutes and 22 minutes. Video looks good. Again, on my end there was nothing indicating that the stream had cut off or there was otherwise a problem. I just assumed it was a problem on the viewer’s end.

Not sure what happened. Any ideas so that I can try to prevent this in the future. Thanks.

ETA: It actually happened in 3 of the 4 games we played. Again, never any indication on my end that the stream had been broken. All looked good on my end. Wondering if it was a data or upload rate issue? Though one of the games was totally fine.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021
I had this happen to me once using Mevo and streaming live on gamechanger. Someone told me the game wasn't being live streamed, and I looked at my phone and saw the red box around the screen and it appeared normal. I noticed that when I ended the Mevo session it didn't ask me to save to my SD card. When I got home, the game was missing. I do remember having some connectivity issue or issue with connecting between the Mevo at the beginning, but all looked good throughout the game. It hasn't happened to me again since.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We had the same problem with a Mevo a few weeks ago in O'Fallon. After arguing with the moron father, who was convinced he could fix it, I took it down and used a phone instead.

We think it was an issue with the hotspot, but that was just speculation. Once we switched back to a phone for streaming, we've had no issues. The moron still uses his Mevo to record, though.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
We had the same problem with a Mevo a few weeks ago in O'Fallon. After arguing with the moron father, who was convinced he could fix it, I took it down and used a phone instead.

We think it was an issue with the hotspot, but that was just speculation. Once we switched back to a phone for streaming, we've had no issues. The moron still uses his Mevo to record, though.
How do you find the phone vs the Mevo as far as quality or ease of use? Any issues getting the full field in view?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How do you find the phone vs the Mevo as far as quality or ease of use? Any issues getting the full field in view?
Josh Greer from Lynk Spyder has some great answers on the board about this topic, but here's what I have found. The phone is much better for streaming. As long as you get its lense between a fence hole, you're fine. You will get the whole field in view. Of course, seeing what happens 200' away isn't clear, but anything in the infield is perfect.

The other good thing is there's no worry about synching up the Mevo or GoPro to the GC feed. It's literally plug and play. You also don't have to worry about hotspot issues.

At least for me, the ideal situation is to record with a GoPro or Mevo, and stream with a phone. I prefer the GoPro with the remote control option. That allows me to record her pitching and only her at bats. I can record in higher quality and not waste SD card space. I let GC archive the video from the phone for everyone else.

May 13, 2023
Enjoy being able to watch the streaming that is sharp and crisp able to view specifics in mechanics much better! High probability teams doing this are greatly increasing their showcasing Prospect Opportunities!

Jul 11, 2023
So hard to compare because there are hundreds of options for phones. I've seen it be good, and I've seen it be terrible.

Prefer the Mevo instead of maintaining a separate phone. I'm not willing to strap my primary device to a fence. :) But I would say a phone is easier as you have fewer pieces to complete the puzzle.

That said, the main issue for us is network reliability. We've also had heat related issues. Particularly at complexes that are all synthetic turf and concrete. They are like ovens in the summer.

Also +1 on having a dedicated device for recording. You can push the quality much higher. 720/30 is great for following along. 4K and 60 or 120 frames are much better for highlight videos and watching mechanics after the fact. I use a camcooler to be able to push my GoPro hard as they'll overheat super easy on lower settings, but that almost guarantees the need for an external microphone if you care about sound at all. @LEsoftballdad advice is good too. Especially if you're only targeting specific actions for recording. My DD isn't a pitcher so I opt to record the whole game as I never know when the defensive action will happen.

Feb 1, 2022
I've had nothing by issues with GC the entire fall season (Android user). I just stream from either my phone or my daughter's. The streams have constantly been shutting down multiple times per game. The app itself has been glitchy as well with blank screens. Only thing that seems to work is closing out the app and retrying until it works.

Nov 5, 2014
Different issue that has popped up this fall for me as a viewer not a streamer is it seems like they changed the default setting to lock videos from the public and only allow family members to view. Completely defeats the purpose for recruiting age teams to have live games and archived footage available for college coaches. I alerted the coaches from my DD's former organization so they can fix it but unfortunately after I my DD graduated they haven't found one consistent person to handle the streaming so it has been hit or miss depending on who they get to handle it for the weekend.

Nov 9, 2021
We have had similar issues with Mevo the last few tourneys. People running the streaming have no indication it isn’t working. But viewers can’t see it and the videos aren’t saved. Switched back to cell phone yesterday and had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles