More High School Politics and BS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
OK, this is DD's first year of MS ball so I may not know what I'm talking about yet but... HS coach has been there for 7or8 years and has done well in the post season every year. Has no tolerance for the primadonna, which we have had several. This past year had several of the mom's in their own little 'clique'. Evidently didn't sit too well and now their DD's are not playing. My DD made MS team and will practice with HS team. I'm happy for her to have the opportunity to prove herself to the coach and hope that she will rise to the occasion. Also, had some dads do some special favors for coach last year, their DD didn't make team this year either. It doesn't appear that there will be much favoritism this season based on money paid, favors done, or who your pal is.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
OK, this is DD's first year of MS ball so I may not know what I'm talking about yet but... HS coach has been there for 7or8 years and has done well in the post season every year. Has no tolerance for the primadonna, which we have had several. This past year had several of the mom's in their own little 'clique'. Evidently didn't sit too well and now their DD's are not playing. My DD made MS team and will practice with HS team. I'm happy for her to have the opportunity to prove herself to the coach and hope that she will rise to the occasion. Also, had some dads do some special favors for coach last year, their DD didn't make team this year either. It doesn't appear that there will be much favoritism this season based on money paid, favors done, or who your pal is.

I've been pretty impressed with the parents of our team so far. Two of the Dads are TB coaches for different teams, and several have been rec coaches. Everyone is staying out of school Coach's business as far as I can see. I mean, what's the point of getting in a lather about school ball? If your DD is an awesome pitcher and he lets a developing pitcher get some mound time, what's the biggie? I'm being extremely hands off with it. DD is having fun and getting reps and that's all I care about.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is a great bench player, she is also really good on field.

She does seem to have a good additute if she does not play.

One player on DD's Team just wanted to be in dugout. Their parents were at every game, drove thier dad nuts.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, that's what it means. Nice comment, now go blow your nose.

No need to get defensive I guess the truth stings a bit. I'm not trying to be mean but your original post (now removed) comes off as though you need to take a step back from your children's softball. Take them to their practices if they can't get there themselves and go shopping during it, come back to pick them up. At games, go get a chair and sit in the outfield as far away from the dugout as you can. Let the coaches coach and the players play.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Well Bubbles I guess you nailed it. I was thinking when I posted my original story that others may have experienced similar HS situations. Yes, I did edit my original post down to nothing as it seems that if your kids are going to play HS softball that you should just always blindly assume that the coaches are the best in the business. They will always do the absolute best thing for the kids and the team and as parents we should just accept it. My apologies for saying anything on here to the contrary. After playing on various teams at the Rec and Comp level (and now HS) for 7 years now we've seen a few different styles and competency levels. Going to camps, clinics and tourneys around the country and working with different pitching, catching and hitting instructors hadn't prepared me at all for the unfailing wisdom found at the High School level. As a family are we involved with the game of Fastpitch? You bet, we love this game and my kids are passionate students of the sport. You seemed to have missed the point I was trying to share in my OP, it was not a question of storming the dugout demanding playing time or yelling and screaming from the sidelines during games...I've watched enough parents at 10 & 12U games do exactly that. My point was to express my disappointment with a specific program on a softball forum, I thought perhaps I would find some others with similar experiences. I have gotten some messages from others who seemed to get it but apparently the overriding majority of folks here on Discuss FastPitch worship at the altar of the HS coach like you do. Yes I asked for advice and I appreciated the feedback. If you feel you know my truth then good for you. In the meantime, maybe I should go to every practice and move my chair in from the outfield right next to the dugout.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Well Bubbles I guess you nailed it. I was thinking when I posted my original story that others may have experienced similar HS situations. Yes, I did edit my original post down to nothing as it seems that if your kids are going to play HS softball that you should just always blindly assume that the coaches are the best in the business. They will always do the absolute best thing for the kids and the team and as parents we should just accept it. My apologies for saying anything on here to the contrary. After playing on various teams at the Rec and Comp level (and now HS) for 7 years now we've seen a few different styles and competency levels. Going to camps, clinics and tourneys around the country and working with different pitching, catching and hitting instructors hadn't prepared me at all for the unfailing wisdom found at the High School level. As a family are we involved with the game of Fastpitch? You bet, we love this game and my kids are passionate students of the sport. You seemed to have missed the point I was trying to share in my OP, it was not a question of storming the dugout demanding playing time or yelling and screaming from the sidelines during games...I've watched enough parents at 10 & 12U games do exactly that. My point was to express my disappointment with a specific program on a softball forum, I thought perhaps I would find some others with similar experiences. I have gotten some messages from others who seemed to get it but apparently the overriding majority of folks here on Discuss FastPitch worship at the altar of the HS coach like you do. Yes I asked for advice and I appreciated the feedback. If you feel you know my truth then good for you. In the meantime, maybe I should go to every practice and move my chair in from the outfield right next to the dugout.
Way over half of the responses here have supported you and/or related a story that was in some ways similar to yours. So I don't see where you are getting the idea that you are being told to blindly accept what happens in school ball.

But this isn't the place to post if you expect every single person to agree with you. And by this place I do mean the entire internet.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

I think that you have received a number of responses similar to your situation and by members who have tried to be supportive. I've done my best to stay out of this thread. I'm a HS Coach who may or may not know what I'm talking about according to who you talk to. I don't think that DFP members worship at the altar of HS Coaches. Instead, I think that there have been several threads with healthy debates about HS Coaches. Good luck to you and your dd.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Cannonball, I've read enough of your threads to know that you're not the type of coach that I am specifically dealing with. China, you often offer complete, insightful info and opinions. What I let bother me here was a snarky comment from someone who I don't think got any of the points I was trying to make. I should have posted a sarcasm warning along with my last response. In my OP if I had left out the information as to whether the coach/team was HS or Travel Ball and described the tryout as it occurred I'm fairly certain that most of us here would have said find a different team. There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, I get it. Both types can teach you something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01