More High School Politics and BS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Dude. One of the biggest fairy tales that we all seem to get sucked into is that HS ball is important or otherwise a high level sport. It's not. try to stress the positives and eliminate the negatives. DD tries to look at it as an opportunity to develop mental toughness- though he always breaks her by the end of the season. (does this while coddling other players. He likes the "popular" girls. players who no matter how badly they play, will retain their positions- one of which he gave an award to last year)
there are a few HS coaches that are really good (some are on this board)but for most of us we get stuck with the jackass football AC who's making a few extra bucks coaching softball.
good luck! (we ALL need it!:D)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pitcher committed to a SEC school, she got annoyed with HS team. They called the college and asked if they cared if she played HS ball, you needed to read between the lines a little bit but the anwser was we would prefer you not to. She is great just not on the HS team.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Dude. One of the biggest fairy tales that we all seem to get sucked into is that HS ball is important or otherwise a high level sport. It's not. try to stress the positives and eliminate the negatives. DD tries to look at it as an opportunity to develop mental toughness- though he always breaks her by the end of the season. (does this while coddling other players. He likes the "popular" girls. players who no matter how badly they play, will retain their positions- one of which he gave an award to last year)
there are a few HS coaches that are really good (some are on this board)but for most of us we get stuck with the jackass football AC who's making a few extra bucks coaching softball.
good luck! (we ALL need it!:D)

Your absolutely right. There are some awesome HS coaches for softball out there. I'm thankful I have an awesome coach. She really helped me make my transition from pitcher to catcher in a time of need for our team. But regrettably there are a lot of jerks out there that treat softball as either a secondary sport or just to play favorites and make sure to play the popular girls in the schools social circles. In my school I'm technically part of the in crowd. But I know I have playing time because I am a hard worker and I am a leader on the field and in the classroom. I'm proud of that as a sophomore. But I was talking to a friend at a restaurant that my family likes in our town and she was saying now she would love to play for our coach because hers is such a jerk and how her team is getting worse and ours in improving.

But you said about travel ball. I have never played travel ball. I could have last summer but couldn't due to injury. So I have nothing to compare my high school experience to. Maybe next summer.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Your absolutely right. There are some awesome HS coaches for softball out there. I'm thankful I have an awesome coach. She really helped me make my transition from pitcher to catcher in a time of need for our team. But regrettably there are a lot of jerks out there that treat softball as either a secondary sport or just to play favorites and make sure to play the popular girls in the schools social circles. In my school I'm technically part of the in crowd. But I know I have playing time because I am a hard worker and I am a leader on the field and in the classroom. I'm proud of that as a sophomore. But I was talking to a friend at a restaurant that my family likes in our town and she was saying now she would love to play for our coach because hers is such a jerk and how her team is getting worse and ours in improving.

But you said about travel ball. I have never played travel ball. I could have last summer but couldn't due to injury. So I have nothing to compare my high school experience to. Maybe next summer.

You seem like a mature young lady with a good head on her shoulders. Lots of initiative to learn a new position. I think you'll go far no matter what you choose to do!

Oct 2, 2015
Pitcher committed to a SEC school, she got annoyed with HS team. They called the college and asked if they cared if she played HS ball, you needed to read between the lines a little bit but the anwser was we would prefer you not to. She is great just not on the HS team.

WOW! That is crazy! But it makes sense.

May 13, 2012

Yes good read and valid points concerning school athletics. Mentioned some key points at the start but didn't adress them in the body about private coaching vs hs coaching (mechanics) and competitive level between the two. Both points are legit concerns . Mentions coaches are volenteers, some maybe but most are paid some amount and appointed due to school employee first then sport qualifications second. Due to that the politics come into play. Play connected parents kid or lose extra pay from coaching job.
That has always been there and won't go away even tho some coaches fight it. Seems there was a thread on here once with the op fighting the system.
The micro manageing is true both ways. Our childern are young and we try to guide them thru life by making decesion's for them . Later we try to guide them with input to make a decision. Sometimes we over do it, but like scammers, others try to influence them into a decision that benifits others not the child. So parents step in. The competition for a roster spot on college team is fierce today. If the child wants one of those then we are there to help them where we can, of course they have to put the work in. I know there are scools with minium politics and schools with good coaching but a school without political bs and good coaches is probably rare.

Oct 1, 2014
USA

You must think (since you posted this link here as well as in the general discussion forum) that I don't like HS ball. Nothing could be further from the truth for my family. I (and my DW) played multiple sports and was on High School teams that I still have fond memories of and remain friends with many of my teammates. My DD's have looked forward to playing in HS for most of their lives. I know there are very good HS programs out there.

BTW, I thought the article was lame...one sided, not very well researched, contradictory and could have been done much better.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You must think (since you posted this link here as well as in the general discussion forum) that I don't like HS ball. Nothing could be further from the truth for my family. I (and my DW) played multiple sports and was on High School teams that I still have fond memories of and remain friends with many of my teammates. My DD's have looked forward to playing in HS for most of their lives. I know there are very good HS programs out there.

BTW, I thought the article was lame...one sided, not very well researched, contradictory and could have been done much better.
sorry but what think or what I think you think never entered my mind when I posted that. I just thought it was a point of view that had enough merit to be part of the discussion here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog