More High School Politics and BS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I knew I needed to pitch in order to get better.

This is an interesting perspective but IME, pitchers will get most of their quality circle time playing for their travel ball teams and not from pitching to HS batters once a week for 3 months. For most softball players, HS ball is more of a social activity with fellow classmates, pride to play for their school, and to fulfill a class requirement (i.e. either PE or play a school sport). Nothing more, nothing less. I personally think its a nice "break" from the intensity of the travel ball circuit, 11 months out of the year. Right now DD's HS team mostly does light fielding and throwing workouts and heavy conditioning with a high school trainer at practices. Their HS league doesn't officially start until Spring.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
After reading these posts I feel like the odd man out. My only goal for my dd is to play high school ball. She just finished up her second season of rec ball and just moved up to a competitive team starting with fall ball playing 12u. She is a good player with lots of natural ability and is now starting to get the instruction she needs with catching lessons and hitting lessons. But while I think she will become a good player maybe one of the top 2 or 3 catchers in her age group in our town of about 30,000, she is never going to be good enough to play at the schools where her academics and interests take her (UCLA, Harvard, Iowa). The goal is to play high school ball win a championship or two instead of a D2 or NAIA scholarship.

She is 12.... How can you see her potential for playing in college?

Jul 5, 2016
After reading these posts I feel like the odd man out. My only goal for my dd is to play high school ball. She just finished up her second season of rec ball and just moved up to a competitive team starting with fall ball playing 12u. She is a good player with lots of natural ability and is now starting to get the instruction she needs with catching lessons and hitting lessons. But while I think she will become a good player maybe one of the top 2 or 3 catchers in her age group in our town of about 30,000, she is never going to be good enough to play at the schools where her academics and interests take her (UCLA, Harvard, Iowa). The goal is to play high school ball win a championship or two instead of a D2 or NAIA scholarship.

12U and you have some sense as to where her academics and interests will take her?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
She is 12....who knows what the future holds? Which is why you keep as many doors open as possible! Good study habits, strong academic performance, and working hard to be the best she can be at something she likes, such as softball, will serve her well regardless of what she ultimately ends up doing.

May 4, 2016
12U and you have some sense as to where her academics and interests will take her?

This should go in the brag post, but she is an exceptional 11 year old consistently tests in the 98-99 percentile, she wants to be a writer and has already won several creative writing awards. Her academics and interests I have a great handle on, and while her and I both love and enjoy softball academics are her ticket.

Jul 5, 2016
This should go in the brag post, but she is an exceptional 11 year old consistently tests in the 98-99 percentile, she wants to be a writer and has already won several creative writing awards. Her academics and interests I have a great handle on, and while her and I both love and enjoy softball academics are her ticket.

Nice.

In any case, academics are always the ticket. My DD's travel coach takes the view that while softball skills can help you overcome certain academic deficiencies and help you get into a selective college, academics are still the ticket.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles