Looking for input on Coach problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
I want people to understand that I do not interfere with a coach with regards to methods unless it is a safety issue.

To give an example, this same coach has a policy that if an infielder makes an error during practice they are told to "take a hike". At which time the fielder is expected to sprint to the center field fence and back. It really has proven to be ineffective. The same girls make the same errors day in and day out. It isn't getting any better. The coach could make better use of the time by focusing on mechanics and fundamentals. Teach them to correct the issue rather than teaching them how many steps it takes to get to center field and back.

However, That is an area where I will not open my mouth. As I said before, she will either sink or swim with regards to performance. If she wants my opinion she can ask for it. I will gladly help. Until that point, my lips are sealed.

I really actually don't even say anything about safety unless it involves my kid. There is a girl in our outfield that is destroying her shoulder due to poor mechanics. She comes off the field in pain all the time. It's easy to spot the problem but not my place to say anything. The parent and coach need to take notice. I just hope this kid doesn't pay the price in the long run.

Apr 27, 2009
Cyclone: It is not my crusade, but the school system's, and idiot coaches are probably everywhere. About half the states have these laws.

So if there are no complaints, the practice is OK? Just like other unreported crimes against victims, such as hazing, etc. Go on forever and seen as OK by do nothings who are not affected but just innocent bystanders I guess. What a great world we live in, teaching our kids crap.

You really are defending something that's stupid by attacking me personally. I have nothing to do with it.

The 'we had to go through it, way of life' argument is BS.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
It is not my crusade, but the school system's, and asshole coaches are probably everywhere. About half the states have these laws.

So if there are no complaints, the practice is OK? Just like other unreported crimes against victims, such as hazing, etc. Go on forever and seen as OK by do nothings. What a great world we live in, teaching our kids crap.

You really are defending something that's stupid by attacking me personally. I have nothing to do with it.

If you say so. I just disagree with you. Doesn't make me (or you) wrong. Just giving my opinion on a public discussion board.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
You are wrong in thinking that things are NOT being done about and that the list of states exists.
This parent is going to the AD and coach.
Guess you have not looked at the legal dockets/newspaper articles lately.

Jan 24, 2011
I live in an area with tons of public schools around. I know the practice of running for consequences is quite prevalent. Isnt a secret at all. The practice of having the girl run with no shoes (still seems like some missing info here) was an error in judgement. But running as a consequence in general , I dont see a big problem (and neither does the OP)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It is not my crusade, but the school system's, and asshole coaches are probably everywhere. About half the states have these laws.

So if there are no complaints, the practice is OK? Just like other unreported crimes against victims, such as hazing, etc. Go on forever and seen as OK by do nothings who are not affected by just innocent bystanders I guess. What a great world we live in, teaching our kids crap.

I'm not attacking you screwball. And what you say may very well be within the letter of the law but running as punishment does go on in HS sports and will likley continue to go on. Unless it truely is abusive running, I can't ever seeing it being elevated to the criminal proceedings.

In this case the running came with an additional condition - no shoes - which could very well be seen as abusive.

Had the coach said something like - "Brought the wrong shoes, take a lap" (w/o the no shoe condition) I don't see anyone who would have a problem unless the kid was asthmatic or something.

Mar 29, 2012
I don't think the OP has a problem with the coach making his daughter run, only that she had to run outside with no shoes.

When I was nine I was running around the park barefoot (not as punishment, but just becuase in the south we went barefoot a lot) stepped on a piece of glass and cut off the end of my 2nd toe (next to the big one). The did sew it back on, but my nail there is still mangled where it got sliced through and scared.

I would make it very clear with this coach that if she wanted to make my daughter run that it's fine as long as she was wearing shoes. There is no reason to put any of the kids in a easily avoidible potentialy dangerous situation.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Let's ask this question. Are the schools better now ( without corporal punishment ) than they were 30-50 years ago? How's the violence compare, how's the respect of teachers by students. How are young kids in general compared to 50 years ago?*

I graduated in 91' and I got my fair share of paddling. And it would straighten me up for awhile and at least make me think twice about messing up again.*

Now days they want to do a "time out", what a joke!! Wow, that's really going to punish a kid.*

Or they just suspend you from school for a day or two. Man I'd love that appose to a spanking. I could sit at home and watch tv, and eat frozen pizza all day. Great punishment there.*

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
With all due respect goingdeep - I don't think bringing corporal punishment back into the schools is going to solve any problems. I'd prefer that teachers not be able to hit my kids with impunity thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck