Looking for input on Coach problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2011
With all due respect goingdeep - I don't think bringing corporal punishment back into the schools is going to solve any problems. I'd prefer that teachers not be able to hit my kids with impunity thank you very much.

I agree with this. But , it does bring me back to a question I asked earlier. Is having an athlete on a sports teams (even with shoes) run as a consequence corporal punishment? Some seem to think it is.

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
So your kid got punished (running is a punishment from decades ago on ball teams all across this land) for having the wrong shoes? But having the wrong shoes, before she needed the correct shoes? And not even that, she was punished for having the wrong shoes, and then the correct shoes, before she even needed them???

Sorry, I think you're either not relaying the whole story, or you aren't getting the whole story. And you clearly have an issue with the coach...

How dare she make a kid run as punishment!! Did you ever play ball in your youth???

The season is winding down, I'd be curious to know how y our conversation went. And also when the season is done; how your "talk" affected your daughter's playing time. :)

I assure you that as bizarre as the story is. It is the whole story.

Why do people automatically assume that a coach is incapable of making a mistake? She made a knee jerk reaction to a kid having the wrong shoes. It was a bad decision. It's that simple.

Young and Dumb is a figure of speech referring to lack of experience. Maybe it is just something that they say in my area only?

I do not have any issue with this coach aside from this little goof. She's ok. Could be better but could be a lot worse too. But if I DID have an issue with this coach I am pretty sure that a simple talk with the AD would have her in a heap of trouble. Since I have made it perfectly clear that my intentions are not to go to the AD, by saying that I clearly have an issue with the coach you are just casting stones without cause.

As far as playing time goes. My daughter has been taught that all is not fair in sports. She understands that sometimes you get the short end of the stick. It will be fine. There is only 1 game left in HS ball. Then we move on to travel ball. Plenty of playing time to be had.

And once again... You can make my kid run. Not a problem. Until you make her do it bare footed. And yes I did play sports as a youth.

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Let's take the possibility of ignorance out of the equation. When the coach told my kid to run, my daughter started to protest with the fact that she had no shoes on. The coach's response was "that's not my fault". She knew what she was doing.

Sep 3, 2009
I'll never forget my first true competitive baseball coach. Mr Tindle. If we made a bone headed error in practice, something that he had already talked with us about, oh yeah... "hit the fence!" We all knew that meant. It DID cut down on mistakes, because nobody wanted to run. And sure, some kids ran more than others. We were all scared of Mr Tindle. He was like 7' tall, dark skin because he worked construction. He had hands like giant meathooks for hands, a really dirty ball cap, and he always had a cigarette dangling out of his mouth. He always seemed pissed off at someone, or something.

I'm pretty sure I went home from practice or a game more than a few times, telling my parents that I hated him, and wanted to quit the team. That was like 30 years ago, and I had heard a while back that Mr Tindle had died. Probably of cancer, from those damn cigarettes, but anyway... He was probably the best coach I've ever known. He taught me everything about the game, how to play it, how to live it, and how to love it.

I can still hearing him screaming at me to "hit the fence!", and it brings a smile to my face. :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I agree with this. But , it does bring me back to a question I asked earlier. Is having an athlete on a sports teams (even with shoes) run as a consequence corporal punishment? Some seem to think it is.

For me the answer would be no, unless the running is excessive or without water.

Most team sports require running for conditioning anyway so a little additional running for punishment is OK by me.

Agree that w/o the shoes, that is a problem.

And yes it does seem from this thread that there are folks out there who have a problem with any running as punishment under any circumstances and according the screwball, those folks may actually have the law on their side in many states.

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Kind of like "Suck it up!" ?? Perhaps you should re-read your lengthy response when someone else used a simple figure of speech in your direction.

Young and Dumb has been used all along in defense of this coach's actions. Not as a means to berate her or make light of somebody's concerns about safety. "Suck it up" has no other meaning other than to say you are whining about nothing. If we substitute 'Inexperienced' for 'Dumb' would it still be as offensive? Because there isn't any way to my knowledge that you can reword "suck it up" to have it be less offensive.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
With all due respect goingdeep - I don't think bringing corporal punishment back into the schools is going to solve any problems. I'd prefer that teachers not be able to hit my kids with impunity thank you very much.

Lou, I like your posts, so I don't want to get too "deep" with you. :)

But seriously, I think it's odd and too much of a coincident that the timeline of school kids getting so out of control almost matches up perfectly with when we as a society took "certain" things out of the school's power. To me it is no different than criminals of today that know the courts will do next to nothing about their crimes. No severe punishment to deter them other wise. It's a vicious cycle.

DD's high school is optional, I sign a form each year so the school can give her a paddling when she gets out of line. She got one set her freshman year, must have got her attention because she has not gotten them since.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Fair enough GD. I too enjoy your posts though I suspect we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. With that being the case I think we'll just agree to disagree on this one as politics and religion are two things that rarely mix well with softball. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd