Looking for input on Coach problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Goingdeep: Please don't make close another thread because you want to start talking politics.

Sorry, I didn't know that I referenced any political affiliation in my conclusions that our schools are worse now than ever before. Sure there are a few bad apples out there, probably equal to less than 1% of the teachers in America. So what do we do? We tie the hands of the efficient 99%, not very good odds for a productive outcome.

Nice little article here............ Charger Life - North Montgomery High School - Teens Today vs. 50 years Ago

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Semantics and interpretation. You wrote what you wrote and that's all we had to go by. Young and dumb are adjectives YOU used to describe a person - not very complimentary and potentially offensive, IMO. "Suck it up" was offered as a general piece of advice - it doesn't denigrate a specific individual and, IMO, was intended to mean "no harm, no foul" or "get over it, its not a big deal". Now, if your DD had cut her foot or been seriously injured due to running without shoes, the advice you received would have been different. The best outcome from the situation you described is that the coach, your DD, and you and mom learn from it.

I was the one who referenced the "suck it comment" and referred to it as disgraceful. I don't recall the OP saying anything about that, although I'm not about to go through all the posts to find out if he did.

This entire thread has become fairly ridiculous. Goingdeep clearly wants to turn this into another thread about religion. His "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophy of life has served him well, and he is going to preach it from the mountaintops, and if anyone offers a dissenting view based on a mountain of research, well, he's just not going to go for any of that fancy "book learnin."

The OP presented a clear case of a coach going overboard. This isn't an overly sensitive, overly protective parent. He's fine with some consequences, but he's not fine with making her run outside without shoes because he doesn't want to have to rush her to the hospital for a tetanus (sp?) shot. Nails, glass... It's a NO BRAINER!! THE COACH WAS WRONG AND MUST BE CORRECTED!!! Does he confront the coach himself, or take it to the AD?? That's an extremely valid question and reasonable people can disagree. But DO NOT excuse the coach for this. SHE made a bigger mistake than forgetting shoes, and now SHE must face some consequences.

ok, goingdeep, now it's your turn to warn us about the apocalypse again and remind us of the "good old days" when it was no big deal to make a player catch without the benefit of a glove...

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Young and Dumb has been used all along in defense of this coach's actions. Not as a means to berate her or make light of somebody's concerns about safety. "Suck it up" has no other meaning other than to say you are whining about nothing. If we substitute 'Inexperienced' for 'Dumb' would it still be as offensive? Because there isn't any way to my knowledge that you can reword "suck it up" to have it be less offensive.

Whatever you have to do to justify it to yourself. In reading the thread it is obvious to me that you came on here looking for people to validate a decision you had already made.

IMO "Young and Dumb" is VERY offensive to anyone! I doubt seriously you would walk up to her and use those words (at least I hope you wouldn't because it would be rude and offensive).

I really don't think "suck it up" ONLY means "you are whining about nothing." Where I come from it is analogous with "Man Up." As in Man up and Take it. It is loosely defined as "Doing something you really don't want to do." Nothing about "whining about nothing."

Again... YOU came on asking for opinions. YOU got a response that used words that YOU didn't like the definition of. YOU were very rude to someone that offered their opinion. YOU applied YOUR definition to a "figure of speech" that you obviously have a pre-defined distaste for. YOU were out of line and referred to someone trying to do a job as "Dumb." YOU should just "Man Up" and apologize and move on.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was the one who referenced the "suck it comment" and referred to it as disgraceful. I don't recall the OP saying anything about that, although I'm not about to go through all the posts to find out if he did.

This entire thread has become fairly ridiculous. Goingdeep clearly wants to turn this into another thread about religion. His "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophy of life has served him well, and he is going to preach it from the mountaintops, and if anyone offers a dissenting view based on a mountain of research, well, he's just not going to go for any of that fancy "book learnin."

The OP presented a clear case of a coach going overboard. This isn't an overly sensitive, overly protective parent. He's fine with some consequences, but he's not fine with making her run outside without shoes because he doesn't want to have to rush her to the hospital for a tetanus (sp?) shot. Nails, glass... It's a NO BRAINER!! THE COACH WAS WRONG AND MUST BE CORRECTED!!! Does he confront the coach himself, or take it to the AD?? That's an extremely valid question and reasonable people can disagree. But DO NOT excuse the coach for this. SHE made a bigger mistake than forgetting shoes, and now SHE must face some consequences.

ok, goingdeep, now it's your turn to warn us about the apocalypse again and remind us of the "good old days" when it was no big deal to make a player catch without the benefit of a glove...

Where in the world have I mentioned one word about religion? That thread is done and closed.

Sure I worry about our youth, it's my job as a parent and member of society. Or should I just close my eyes and hope it just all works out.

You really have to "think" how much this game mirrors real life and the lessons that it teaches. It's training for the body, to keep it active and healthy. It's mental to keep your mind sharp and productive. The choices you make in the 1-2 inning will have bearings on the outcome in the 7th. ( just like choices you make as a teen or young adult will affect you mid-life, and affect others around you )

"Book learnin" I assume you refer to the psychoanalysis, psychiatrists that have it all figured out now. Lets not use corporal punishment, lets just fill the kid with drugs to calm him down, whether they have ADHD or not because they don't want to mess with them or take the time to do it. How's the "book learnin" working out? Violence and crime are our news headlines everyday, our prisons are full...............sounds great to me.

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Semantics and interpretation. You wrote what you wrote and that's all we had to go by. Young and dumb are adjectives YOU used to describe a person - not very complimentary and potentially offensive, IMO. "Suck it up" was offered as a general piece of advice - it doesn't denigrate a specific individual and, IMO, was intended to mean "no harm, no foul" or "get over it, its not a big deal". Now, if your DD had cut her foot or been seriously injured due to running without shoes, the advice you received would have been different. The best outcome from the situation you described is that the coach, your DD, and you and mom learn from it.

Fair enough. I can live with that. I should have chose better wording.

As for the coach, I talked with her in a mature matter of fact way with a smile on my face. She agreed that it wasn't the smartest move and that she is new to coaching and made a mistake. We have all learned from this. Can I promise that my kid won't show up without shoes? Nope. If she does show up without them I can tell you that we will do our best to get them to her. It's what's best for the team. I can also tell you that we will be on her butt when practice ends.

I also believe that the coach will be a little smarter now. It was an honest mistake on her part. She acknowledged it. I guess according to a lot of folks opinions on here I probably should have just talked to the AD and not even worried about giving her a chance. After all, we have to be accountable for our actions. Correct? If the AD deemed it inappropriate he could have taken proper action. If not then I guess life would have went on as usual.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

As for the coach, I talked with her in a mature matter of fact way with a smile on my face. She agreed that it wasn't the smartest move and that she is new to coaching and made a mistake. We have all learned from this. Can I promise that my kid won't show up without shoes? Nope. If she does show up without them I can tell you that we will do our best to get them to her. It's what's best for the team. I can also tell you that we will be on her butt when practice ends.

I also believe that the coach will be a little smarter now. It was an honest mistake on her part. She acknowledged it. I guess according to a lot of folks opinions on here I probably should have just talked to the AD and not even worried about giving her a chance. After all, we have to be accountable for our actions. Correct? If the AD deemed it inappropriate he could have taken proper action. If not then I guess life would have went on as usual.

Sounds like you handled it well and everybody learned something, good job. This forum is an excellent place to vent and seek opinions during the recommended 24-48 hr cooling off period!

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Sounds like you handled it well and everybody learned something, good job. This forum is an excellent place to vent and seek opinions during the recommended 24-48 hr cooling off period!

Whatever, you guys are a bunch of jerks.

Just kiddin' :)

Thanks for the interesting and colorful input everybody. I really do enjoy it. We are one very mixed bag o' nuts for sure.

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Chinamigarden, I apologize for lashing out at you. I really do have a problem with somebody telling me to suck it up but perhaps I read you the wrong way. I have read other posts that you have made on other topics and you don't come across as in a rude way. So in the spirit of good sportsmanship, I apologize.

Thanks for your input.

Sep 18, 2011

Glad it worked out, although of course you're still stuck with a pretty clueless coach. Not to threadjack, but that's one of the reasons my 8th grader doesn't play school ball. You can pick your TB coach, but you can't pick your school coach, and in your case, you're stuck with a real winner. Having said that, best wishes to you and your DD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd