Looking for input on Coach problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Lou, I like your posts, so I don't want to get too "deep" with you. :)

But seriously, I think it's odd and too much of a coincident that the timeline of school kids getting so out of control almost matches up perfectly with when we as a society took "certain" things out of the school's power. To me it is no different than criminals of today that know the courts will do next to nothing about their crimes. No severe punishment to deter them other wise. It's a vicious cycle.

DD's high school is optional, I sign a form each year so the school can give her a paddling when she gets out of line. She got one set her freshman year, must have got her attention because she has not gotten them since.

I have wrestled with this idea many times and I am on the fence about it. Just to spin it a little bit. I know many kids/people that have never had a hand laid on them in their life that are outstanding individuals. I also know people that were rotten people as kids. They got beat every time they got out of line and they are still rotten people. I think there is more to it than beating or not beating.

Just my opinion.

Dec 9, 2011
You may be kidding, but yes, you can't make kids run for punishment, shoes or no shoes, just like in drama club or PE class. Why can't the coach just withold playing time from the kids who are not prepared?

There are also now anti-bullying policies that both players and coaches have to abide by.

Than Screwball what do you do when mom and dad scream about playing time? She ran without shoes... ok hurt her poor little feelings in front of her friends... come on... I have seen thousands of kids over the years at ballfields between games take there cleats off and run around.... ok so some of you have said you play college softball or been around it... if you show up to practice without your gear or to a ball game without your gear what will the coach do? DON'T TELL ME THEY WITHHOLD PLAYING TIME. THERE ARE OTHER PUNISHMENT THEY DO AS WELL. Will mom or dad bring the stuff to you? NOT I don't think so. My daughter (1 of 3) forgot her glove one time for practice. She thought she had placed it in her bag but when she went to get it it wasn't there. She called me and asked me to bring it to her... I asked her who was responsible for making sure she had it... I did NOT take it to her... she got in trouble not only by her coach but also by mom and me... Teach kids to be responsible and with the understanding if your not than there will be a price to pay... and it can be much worse than running without shoes or worried about running a kid for punishment.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Than Screwball what do you do when mom and dad scream about playing time? She ran without shoes... ok hurt her poor little feelings in front of her friends... come on... I have seen thousands of kids over the years at ballfields between games take there cleats off and run around.... ok so some of you have said you play college softball or been around it... if you show up to practice without your gear or to a ball game without your gear what will the coach do? DON'T TELL ME THEY WITHHOLD PLAYING TIME. THERE ARE OTHER PUNISHMENT THEY DO AS WELL. Will mom or dad bring the stuff to you? NOT I don't think so. My daughter (1 of 3) forgot her glove one time for practice. She thought she had placed it in her bag but when she went to get it it wasn't there. She called me and asked me to bring it to her... I asked her who was responsible for making sure she had it... I did NOT take it to her... she got in trouble not only by her coach but also by mom and me... Teach kids to be responsible and with the understanding if your not than there will be a price to pay... and it can be much worse than running without shoes or worried about running a kid for punishment.

This I don't really understand. I DO understand about teaching responsibility to the kids, but in this scenario you didn't just "teach" a lesson to your DD. It was a team practice correct? With you holding to your ideals and not bringing something she forgot you now have a team missing one of their players to practice with. It doesn't just affect your DD, it's a team sport.

I have forgotten things plenty of times, do I do it on purpose? No. I am sure YOU have forgotten items as an adult. What would you do if you asked DW to bring the item you forgot and she said the same thing you told your DD?

Jun 18, 2010
Using exorcise or running as a punishment reminded me of a story regarding the Head Football coach of KU and one of his players that got a lot of attention several years ago:

Cory Kipp, a defensive lineman under Mangino in 2002 and ’03, told the Journal-World this week that he endured significant injuries to his hand as a result of a punishment carried out by the coach — a claim backed up by multiple former players, as well as photos taken shortly after the incident.

“It must have been the worst pain I’ve ever felt,” Kipp said.

Mangino, the subject of an internal university investigation into his treatment of players, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

According to Kipp, who started all 13 games at nose tackle during the ’03 season, the incident transpired as follows:

At the beginning of an afternoon workout in August of ’03, Mangino told Kipp to see him after practice to undergo punishment for the player’s failure to weigh-in earlier that day.

Kipp figured the punishment would be running “cross-fields” — something he and another former player said was a typical penalty for such an infraction — but was instead told to “bear-crawl” across the AstroTurf field at Memorial Stadium on his hands and feet.

Kipp began the crawl and, after moving several yards, felt a burning sensation in his hands. On multiple occasions, Kipp said, he stopped to complain that the turf was burning his hands — according to a University of Arkansas report, artificial playing surfaces have been documented at up to 199 degrees in temperature — but was ordered by Mangino, who was walking alongside the crawling player, to keep going.

By the time Kipp had finished, the skin near the heel of his hand had been completely seared, and photos provided to the Journal-World depict blistering and a sizable area of missing skin.

Full article here.

Basically the hot AstroTurf burnt the skin off of his palms.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Young and Dumb has been used all along in defense of this coach's actions. Not as a means to berate her or make light of somebody's concerns about safety. "Suck it up" has no other meaning other than to say you are whining about nothing. If we substitute 'Inexperienced' for 'Dumb' would it still be as offensive? Because there isn't any way to my knowledge that you can reword "suck it up" to have it be less offensive.

Semantics and interpretation. You wrote what you wrote and that's all we had to go by. Young and dumb are adjectives YOU used to describe a person - not very complimentary and potentially offensive, IMO. "Suck it up" was offered as a general piece of advice - it doesn't denigrate a specific individual and, IMO, was intended to mean "no harm, no foul" or "get over it, its not a big deal". Now, if your DD had cut her foot or been seriously injured due to running without shoes, the advice you received would have been different. The best outcome from the situation you described is that the coach, your DD, and you and mom learn from it.

Dec 9, 2011
This I don't really understand. I DO understand about teaching responsibility to the kids, but in this scenario you didn't just "teach" a lesson to your DD. It was a team practice correct? With you holding to your ideals and not bringing something she forgot you now have a team missing one of their players to practice with. It doesn't just affect your DD, it's a team sport.

I have forgotten things plenty of times, do I do it on purpose? No. I am sure YOU have forgotten items as an adult. What would you do if you asked DW to bring the item you forgot and she said the same thing you told your DD?

Oh yes you do teach something to her because she let her team down as well so she had to deal with that. You just said what I was hoping you would say. It affected her team. I have forgotten things and have to deal with it. I forgot my phone the other day at home and guess where it stayed ... at home.. did not ask to bring nothing to me... CoachKevin teach kids to be responsible.. JMO

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
stickemup: Was running around the school punishment? Or does the entire team run around the school as a warm up?

Goingdeep: Please don't make close another thread because you want to start talking politics.

Dec 9, 2011
Using exorcise or running as a punishment reminded me of a story regarding the Head Football coach of KU and one of his players that got a lot of attention several years ago:

Cory Kipp, a defensive lineman under Mangino in 2002 and ’03, told the Journal-World this week that he endured significant injuries to his hand as a result of a punishment carried out by the coach — a claim backed up by multiple former players, as well as photos taken shortly after the incident.

“It must have been the worst pain I’ve ever felt,” Kipp said.

Mangino, the subject of an internal university investigation into his treatment of players, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

According to Kipp, who started all 13 games at nose tackle during the ’03 season, the incident transpired as follows:

At the beginning of an afternoon workout in August of ’03, Mangino told Kipp to see him after practice to undergo punishment for the player’s failure to weigh-in earlier that day.

Kipp figured the punishment would be running “cross-fields” — something he and another former player said was a typical penalty for such an infraction — but was instead told to “bear-crawl” across the AstroTurf field at Memorial Stadium on his hands and feet.

Kipp began the crawl and, after moving several yards, felt a burning sensation in his hands. On multiple occasions, Kipp said, he stopped to complain that the turf was burning his hands — according to a University of Arkansas report, artificial playing surfaces have been documented at up to 199 degrees in temperature — but was ordered by Mangino, who was walking alongside the crawling player, to keep going.

By the time Kipp had finished, the skin near the heel of his hand had been completely seared, and photos provided to the Journal-World depict blistering and a sizable area of missing skin.

Full article here.

Basically the hot AstroTurf burnt the skin off of his palms.[/QUO

Ok let me ask. Did he quit the team after?

Dec 9, 2011
Oh yea my daughter today thanks me for holding her responsible. Great young lady.. hard working in a great job... Corporate attorney. Hard to believe she came from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67