Looking for input on Coach problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2011
People:
Corporal punishment in schools is ILLEGAL in Ohio, Massachusetts, New Jersey and many other states. This is not about feelings. You can't make kids do physical activities as punishment. You CAN bench them.

THE COACH BROKE THE LAW. If you have issue with this law, see your local representative.

Running for an athlete on a sports team is corporal punishment? Heck , it might have even been a benefit to her to have her run barefoot.

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
What do you want to accomplish by having this conversation? It's a very good important question to ask yourself, imo.

If your goal is to prevent any future punishments or coaching edicts that may lead to injury, then I'd say OK. The safety of your daughter is a valid reason for having a discussion with a coach. Running barefooted for long distances can tear up your arch, among other things.

However, you've commented that the coach is young and dumb and on a power trip. And all that might be true. But that should not be your agenda. Parents should not tell coaches how to coach, imo - except to address specific incidents that a parent believes has crossed the line. Things that cross the line include verbal or physical abuse, bad language, unsportsmanlike behavior, that sort of thing. You should not use this as an excuse to critique her coaching or tell her how to do it.

Also, the feedback you're getting here is very good. I think some of it is harsh and judgmental, but before the advent of message boards, where could you get such candor?

I'll add this -- I work at home. Once in a blue moon, my wife will forget her cell phone or appointment book. I bring it to her. No big deal. Yet if a kid makes that kind of mistake and parents help them out, lord help us. We're bailing out our kids! How are they going to learn responsibility! We're spoiling them!

Amen with regards to holding kids to standards higher than we would set upon ourselves.

I let this coach have her way in terms of what she does on the field. She will die by her own sword with regard to her coaching ability. When I say she is young and dumb and on a power trip it is true. But I have not and will not say a word with regards to anything except the no shoe punishment. I really am ok with this coach. I have made many of the same coaching mistakes that she has made. With the exception of the safety issue.

Thanks

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Folks, I really do appreciate and enjoy the conversation. I can see validity in most of what everybody is saying. I get a little testy if somebody talks down to me. But none the less I have enjoyed hearing from all of ya.

Thanks,
Jack

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't coddle my kids.

Except when they forget their shoes for practice, at which time you drop everything and run home to get her shoes.

All three of my DDs played sports in HS. I've been through this same scenario with the shoes/uniform/belt/socks/bat/glove/swim suit (Water polo)/tennis racquet ("I forgot my favorite one!")/bra/feminine products/ about one million times.

With my first DD, we were all over the place trying to help her. With the third, we realized that the only way should would ever learn is to let her suffer the consequences of her actions. She practiced one day in shoes three size too small for her. She never forgot her shoes again.

Given that fact, why would you assume that I am inflating the story?

Because you are a parent. My wife is a teacher. I have two DDs who teach. There is a constant stream of parents complaining about the unfair treatment of their children.

E.g., "Daisy Dukes" (cut off jean shorts) are popular in school right now. The girls leave the house wearing the shorts (which are already too short) and then promptly roll up the legs of the shorts between home and school in order to show off their cheeks. So, the assistant principal goes around and tells the girls to unroll the shorts. After about three times, the principal calls home. Of course, the DD forgets to mention the other times she was warned and as well as the "rolling up" of the shorts.

Once in a blue moon, my wife will forget her cell phone or appointment book. I bring it to her. No big deal.

If it were once in a blue moon, no problem. Again, I raised three DDs. They didn't forget things "once in a blue moon"--it was more like once a day.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
One major flaw in the barefoot running shoe example. Those are still shoes and they do protect your foot from hazards.
She could have made my kid run 'til the cows came home... If she would have had shoes on.

I was more referencing the list of possible benefits of barefoot running listed further down in the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I guess I still don't understand about the OP, she had forgot her shoes, but they came BEFORE practice started and she still got in trouble? I'm with Amy, how can you punish a girl for something that didn't happen? Bottom line, did she have the shoes for practice? Yes. Doesn't matter to me if Mommy went to the store and bought her a new pair because she forgot them as long as she has the shoes at practice.

Wasn't there a movie about arresting people for crimes they had not yet committed...lol

Apr 27, 2009
Running for an athlete on a sports team is corporal punishment? Heck , it might have even been a benefit to her to have her run barefoot.

Barefoot Running Shoes

You may be kidding, but yes, you can't make kids run for punishment, shoes or no shoes, just like in drama club or PE class. Why can't the coach just withold playing time from the kids who are not prepared?

There are also now anti-bullying policies that both players and coaches have to abide by.

Jan 24, 2011
You may be kidding, but yes, you can't make kids run for punishment, shoes or no shoes, just like in drama club or PE class. Why can't the coach just withold playing time from the kids who are not prepared?

There are also now anti-bullying policies that both players and coaches have to abide by.

Nope wasnt kidding at all. Running as a consequence happens at all levels of sports. Not a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd