Looking for input on Coach problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Except when they forget their shoes for practice, at which time you drop everything and run home to get her shoes.

All three of my DDs played sports in HS. I've been through this same scenario with the shoes/uniform/belt/socks/bat/glove/swim suit (Water polo)/tennis racquet ("I forgot my favorite one!")/bra/feminine products/ about one million times.

With my first DD, we were all over the place trying to help her. With the third, we realized that the only way should would ever learn is to let her suffer the consequences of her actions. She practiced one day in shoes three size too small for her. She never forgot her shoes again.

Because you are a parent. My wife is a teacher. I have two DDs who teach. There is a constant stream of parents complaining about the unfair treatment of their children.

E.g., "Daisy Dukes" (cut off jean shorts) are popular in school right now. The girls leave the house wearing the shorts (which are already too short) and then promptly roll up the legs of the shorts between home and school in order to show off their cheeks. So, the assistant principal goes around and tells the girls to unroll the shorts. After about three times, the principal calls home. Of course, the DD forgets to mention the other times she was warned and as well as the "rolling up" of the shorts.

If it were once in a blue moon, no problem. Again, I raised three DDs. They didn't forget things "once in a blue moon"--it was more like once a day.

well we all know what assuming will get ya'. Not all scenarios fit your model.

Apr 27, 2009
Nope wasnt kidding at all. Running as a consequence happens at all levels of sports. Not a big deal

It is. There are a lot of bad things going on in sport that we used to think were OK; salt pills, steroids, dieting, never mind all kinds of stuff in real life, like slapping kids with rulers. Doesn't make any of it right. Do what you want with your travel kids (I don't recommend this one), college kids or pros, that is different, although highly ineffective.

I have also stated that creating negative impressions of running is partly why our kids and adults are obese, and this view is shared by major health and school orgs that run the schools. Kids hate to exercise because of this sort of approach...

I can tell none of you is a coach in the school system, or you would know this all by heart. Obviously the coach in question is clueless, too.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
It is. There are a lot of bad things going on in sport that we used to think were OK; salt pills, steroids, dieting, never mind all kinds of stuff in real life, like slapping kids with rulers. Doesn't make any of it right. Do what you want with your travel kids (I don't recommend this one), college kids or pros, that is different, although highly ineffective.

I have also stated that creating negative impressions of running is partly why our kids and adults are obese, and this view is shared by major health and school orgs that run the schools. Kids hate to exercise because of this sort of approach...

I can tell none of you is a coach in the school system, or you would know this all by heart. Obviously the coach in question is clueless, too.

If you really think that running isnt used as a consequence on teams in school systems , you are dead wrong. Goes on all the time and always will.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

You may be right. But rules vary by state. I'm pretty sure running laps for discipline in HS sports goes on all the time and doubt there would ever be cause for prosecution even if done as punishment. Now if you are talking about making kids run long distances without water or something then sure the coach is going to get in trouble for stuff like that.

As for the coach making the kid run with no shoes, I agree that is out of line. Not sure how out of line as others have noted some kids, mine included, often run around outside with no shoes.

To OP I think he's well within his rights to address it with the coach as a saftey issue. However, his going on to call her "young and dumb" in repeated posts leads me to believe there is more than just this one issue that he'll wind up raising in such a meeting.

Mar 31, 2012
Running around the school barefoot is a bad idea.

I know because once in high school i looked out of a science class window and saw a team mate of mine from the gymnastics team jogging by taking a lap around the school completely naked. it was during the streaking days and he was a high-bar guy and you know how they are - so it wasn't that shocking. but - he WAS wearing sneakers.

However, I once played on a touch-tackle football team for years with a guy who played only in barefeet because that's how they played soccer in Lebanon when he was a little kid growing up in the American Consulate.

So - you know- it cuts both ways

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
You may be right. But rules vary by state. I'm pretty sure running laps for discipline in HS sports goes on all the time and doubt there would ever be cause for prosecution even if done as punishment. Now if you are talking about making kids run long distances without water or something then sure the coach is going to get in trouble for stuff like that.

As for the coach making the kid run with no shoes, I agree that is out of line. Not sure how out of line as others have noted some kids, mine included, often run around outside with no shoes.

To OP I think he's well within his rights to address it with the coach as a saftey issue. However, his going on to call her "young and dumb" in repeated posts leads me to believe there is more than just this one issue that he'll wind up raising in such a meeting.

Sorry, "Young and Dumb" is really not intended to be a derogatory statement in the sense that you took it. More of a reference to lack of experience. She is not a dumb person per say. As a matter of fact she is college educated. This is her first coaching gig. When I say young and dumb I just mean that she still learning and makin' mistakes. We are all young and dumb. Until we get old and wise. They are just figures of speech. I meant no disrespect. It was more or less making excuses for the coach's bad decision.

As for running around without shoes, I personally don't encourage it as a general rule. And definitely not to go running through various unknown terrain for what I would estimate to be at approximately 1/2 mile.

Mar 31, 2012
Green, Ohio
Running around the school barefoot is a bad idea.

I know because once in high school i looked out of a science class window and saw a team mate of mine from the gymnastics team jogging by taking a lap around the school completely naked. it was during the streaking days and he was a high-bar guy and you know how they are - so it wasn't that shocking. but - he WAS wearing sneakers.

However, I once played on a touch-tackle football team for years with a guy who played only in barefeet because that's how they played soccer in Lebanon when he was a little kid growing up in the American Consulate.

So - you know- it cuts both ways

Lol, that's funny.

Sep 3, 2009
So your kid got punished (running is a punishment from decades ago on ball teams all across this land) for having the wrong shoes? But having the wrong shoes, before she needed the correct shoes? And not even that, she was punished for having the wrong shoes, and then the correct shoes, before she even needed them???

Sorry, I think you're either not relaying the whole story, or you aren't getting the whole story. And you clearly have an issue with the coach...

I am going to talk to the coach to explain my concern. She is young and dumb & made a mistake

How dare she make a kid run as punishment!! Did you ever play ball in your youth???

The season is winding down, I'd be curious to know how y our conversation went. And also when the season is done; how your "talk" affected your daughter's playing time. :)

Apr 27, 2009

The list of states is quite long, so if you don't want to be sued or fired and you are a coach, I would not do it. Further it is ineffective (if it is for a mistake, running can't fix that; small programs can't have kids not try out or have them quit), so have at it and get your way (for awhile). Just like other crimes in the school system that everyone gets jacked about later.

Jan 24, 2011
The list of states is quite long, so if you don't want to be sued or fired and you are a coach, I would not do it. Further it is ineffective (if it is for a mistake, running can't fix that), so have at it and get your way (for awhile). Just like other crimes in the school system that everyone gets jacked about later.

I will believe it when I see it. My DD plays school sports and running is used as consequences quite often (in all sports). Never heard a complaint being filed against anyone. But , good luck on your crusade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26