It is okay to use your Radar Gun on another team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2011
I don't mind anyone standing there with their radar device measuring pitches, but I am getting annoyed with the men I have observed filming my daughter. It's creepy. The next time, unless they have a college logo on their shirt, I am going to stand in front of the camera until they get the message.

Aug 9, 2013
A couple of my dads will use an iphone app and report speeds to me on our pitchers and the opposing pitchers. I laugh because I can tell basically what pitchers are throwing and I don't need to have an app to tell me that.

I can also tell by how many strikeouts we have ;) If a pitcher is approaching the mid 40's, as a first year 10UC team, we're not hitting.

Jul 4, 2014
I don't think it's called 'gloating' when the parent on an A team brags about beating a B team.

But, congrats to your DD's team.

Thanks. My dd's team would never go looking to play any B teams for the purpose of beating them up. In fact, the team wasn't interested in playing this B team but the dad in question bragged about how good his pitcher (dd) and his dd's team was and that they haven't lost a game this season (I found out later that they did - they lost 2. My dd's coach relented but qualified that the team wasn't interested in playing B teams because it wouldn't be fair. No doubt that this B team is a very good - in fact, one of the top B teams. I'm not sure if the intention to play was to showcase his dd or to prove to themselves how good their team is or to find out if they're good enough to play A. Regardless of the reason, I found it obnoxious that the B team parents would think that they would win this one easily. Interestingly, my dd's team didn't assume anything. Since it was a friendly game, one of our assistant coaches decided to ump but was told by our coach to go easy on the B team. Any remotely close calls went to the B team and despite this, we still won by a large margin. We've all learnt a couple of lessons from this. 1.) Don't go looking for trouble. 2.) If you're going to stretch the truth, make sure it's not easily verifiable. If I were this dad, I'd be pretty embarassed. nuft said.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
his dd's team was and that they haven't lost a game this season (I found out later that they did - they lost 2.
No doubt that this B team is a very good - in fact, one of the top B teams. I'm not sure if the intention to play was to showcase his dd or to prove to themselves how good their team is or to find out if they're good enough to play A.

Not sure what a "top B team" is - never have, never will, since that's a team that should be challenging other A teams regularly. Coaches and parents get too caught up in a team's record rather than looking at who they play and what they accomplish based on whether they play against good teams or not. You don't know what true success is until you know failure. At this point, the team you played only knows failure now, since their "season record" seems tarnished now that they played a good team.

Around here, there is an "Elite" team holding tryouts soon hoping to attract other "Elite" players only, since they had such a great record this year. Never mind that they played several C tournaments (they were 13U, so were eligible for 14U C tournaments) in the fall and racked up a bunch of wins against woeful competition.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Top "B" team is a team that should be playing "A" but plays down to chase plastic, t-shirts, and other glorification in lieu of getting better by playing top competition.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am clueless. I thought all TB was A. I thought B and C were rec all stars only.

There are TB tournaments that will have Gold, Silver, and Bronze in 10U - 14U with Gold and Silver in 16U - 18U. Even though a team runs roughshod over the competition on Saturday, some coaches will throw a fit when they are thrown into Gold or even Silver so they can't run the table and bring home the plastic on Sunday. As these teams move up they are the same ones who include showcase tournaments in the won/lost record. They are conspicuously absent at varsity events such as ASA/USA and PGF Nationals.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There are TB tournaments that will have Gold, Silver, and Bronze in 10U - 14U with Gold and Silver in 16U - 18U. Even though a team runs roughshod over the competition on Saturday, some coaches will throw a fit when they are thrown into Gold or even Silver so they can't run the table and bring home the plastic on Sunday. As these teams move up they are the same ones who include showcase tournaments in the won/lost record. They are conspicuously absent at varsity events such as ASA/USA and PGF Nationals.

I've seen the different brackets, I just didn't know there were different registration levels. Our team might play the SoCal Sucksters one game and the SoCal Athletics the next. Huge differences in skill levels all mashed up in the same friendly or tournament. These are all local SOCal events though, maybe it changes when at bigger tourneys. I just thought they were all A teams.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
and as far as the topic goes. I have gunned other pitchers, but very discreetly, just to see what a "fast' pitcher is throwing. Not for scouting or anything, mainly just to see where DD stacks up speed wise to real world situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug