It is okay to use your Radar Gun on another team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2014
There are no laws or rules against it and it's public property. What are you so annoyed about anyway? People like you who go nuts and start screaming about it really bother me.

I apologize if I overreacted with my initial question. I've never seen another team clock any other team before. I've seen our coaches clock our own pitchers and other coaches clock their own pitches. I've just never seen it done by anyone other than the team's own coach. Obviously we know that there are some pitchers who throw faster ball and we wish that we had the gumption to do what this fellow did. Obviously I live under a rock because it sounds like it's a common practice. :eek: As I'd mentioned previously, what annoyed me about these folks is that they stood directed behind the backstop and pointed the gun directly at the pitchers (ours and the opposing team's) and was commenting to the "B" coach how fast his daughter could pitch and how he's clocked her at X mph. His arrogance behind the backstop and his behavior was what clouded my judgement. Maybe we're very small town and that's why no one ever clocks another team. The fact that it's done with no due respect to trying to hide the fact that he's clocking the girls is arrogant in my humble opinion. But thank you for explaining that it's legal and acceptable to do that. Knowing this, I will however be a little more discrete when clocking the competition. :cool:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My issue is, they had a Radar Gun with them and they were clocking the pitchers of both our team as well as the competition.

If your DD plays travel softball and this is the only "issue" you have, you are better off than 98.2% of the people on this board.....

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've done it for my own curiosity on pitchers I know are very good. I also use my Pocket Radar to do it, but I stand well away from the backstop. In fact, I'm usually behind where other people are watching the game. I do not announce the results or comment. I just make mental notes.

The coach who was doing it was being obnoxious. I don't blame you for being irritated because of the way he was doing it. As you'll learn, though, speed isn't everything, especially as players get older. My guess is he has no idea. I'll bet he cheats with the gun to get his daughter better readings too.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Back before everyone and his momma had a radar gun, we'd have a little fun on occasions with "those dad's". Long story short, I had acquired 3 radar guns when DD was real young. My good friend is a State Trooper, he used his device to calibrate the 3 guns for me.

1) was dead on accurate
2) was 5 mph over
3) was 5 mph slower

Those coaches/dad's who bragged so in so was "clocked at __ last weekend", I'd slide over to their game ( when applicable ) and gun her with the slower gun. Of course a parent would ask the speed, that bled into the stands and eventually the dugout. Some took it quietly, some dang near had a stroke. Man it was fun. :)

Opposite strategy when we were playing. I'd give the guns to one of my bleacher dad's ( kept them in a backpack and each had a color code, code identified which gun was which ) when our pitchers were in he'd use the faster gun in front of the crowd, when theirs were in he'd pull out the slower gun. You talk about getting in some peoples heads!! It was always funny to hear him talk about some of the comments from the other fans.

Sadly it wouldn't work today, radar guns are like cell phones now, everybody has one.

Jun 22, 2008
Years ago the team my daughter was playing for had a pitching coach that traveled to tournaments with us. She asked me to gun them at a recruitment tournament in Vegas with her juggs gun which she always kept calibrated. Both of our pitchers had been hitting 61-62 with their fastballs. We were playing a team out of ca and about half way through the game the pitchers dad saw me and came over asking questions about how fast our pitchers were. I told him what they were throwing and he boasted his daughter threw faster than ours. She just happened to be pitching at that moment so I put the gun on her and highest I got was 58. Showed him and he got all bent out of shape telling me my gun was at least 8 mph slow. Guess he couldn't figure out even if it was 8 mph slow it still made his daughter slower than our pitchers because I was using same gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick