It is okay to use your Radar Gun on another team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Gmom, not sure what age you're talking about but in the early ages, speed "usually" dominates. Lots of parents/coaches will guage a pitcher by her speed. Around 11/12/13 speed alone doesn't cut it anymore, those once fireballer's are being surpassed by those who can move the ball, hit spots, and change speeds. About 14/15 I rarely used my gun, unless someone caught my eye with incredible speed, just curious to see how fast she was.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We played in a charity 18u tournament as 14's one summer. There was a true Gold team there that was running thru most of their competition. Another team there pitched a little girl who had 3 speeds of s-l-ow, like 50-45-38mph, and she mixed them for every batter. That Gold team who had been pounding every team absolutely couldn't hit the ball out of the infield ( if they hit at all ), it was one of the funniest games I've ever seen. ( You could feel the frustration from their fans/coaches/parents ) The little slow girl held them scoreless until the last inning, when the Gold team switched to small ball. Bunted their way to a 2-0 win.

Jun 22, 2008
We played in a charity 18u tournament as 14's one summer. There was a true Gold team there that was running thru most of their competition. Another team there pitched a little girl who had 3 speeds of s-l-ow, like 50-45-38mph, and she mixed them for every batter. That Gold team who had been pounding every team absolutely couldn't hit the ball out of the infield ( if they hit at all ), it was one of the funniest games I've ever seen. ( You could feel the frustration from their fans/coaches/parents ) The little slow girl held them scoreless until the last inning, when the Gold team switched to small ball. Bunted their way to a 2-0 win.

Daughters team playing the Firecrackers in Louisville. Coach has our "changeup" pitcher (everything she threw was slow) in the game. The Firecrackers couldnt hit her for several innings. About the 5th inning through an error or 2 and a walk the Firecrackers got the based loaded and coach decided to bring in our 65 mph pitcher. First pitch C YA. Grand slam, not sure they have found the ball yet.

LetsPlayTwo

LetsPlayTwo
Jul 4, 2014
Ohio
Years ago, when older DD was in rec (she probably could have been TB, but we couldn't make it work for several reasons), the father of the local U12 "ace" was at the rec fields gunning/scouting a game that involved two of the more promising rec Ps. Clearly looking to recruit a #2 or #3 P from rec for the local TB B team. He spent about 2 innings gunning and walked away talking how pathetic the speeds were and statements like 'not much to see here'. Don't want to make this into a rec vs. TB post or that any rec program should be happy to see girls move to TB. It was the a--hat condescending way he went about it that was my first exposure to radar guns.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
To these posters using the radar guns. It is annoying folks, and stop trying to rationalize it. Again, it really shows the type A overly competitive parent who is living through the kid. Who cares what speed every 12 u pitcher is?
Some fields are now putting green tarps at the back stop because yes, the commotion is bothering the pitchers.

My thoughts on those green tarps were because the "commotion" was bothering the umps.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My thoughts on those green tarps were because the "commotion" was bothering the umps.

The behind the backstop vantage point, complete with high speed video is often a testimony to an umpires officiating skills or lack thereof. Many umpires do not appreciate that type of scrutiny. Especially when the results are posted on YouTube. :)

Jul 4, 2014
Here's an Update....

Just a quick update and yes I know that I'm gloating....

So the Dad who was using the Radar Gun on both teams playing last week decided to approach our coach for a "Friendly" pick-up game. We played them last night. Before I reveal the score, I just wanted to say that the Dad who said that his daughter pitched faster than the #1 TB A pitcher is definitely stretching the truth. She was slower than our # 1 and #2 (and she'd clocked our #2 at 50mph last week) and we're just an average team. No, we didn't clock her. We could see it with our own eyes. The problem with her pitching is not her speed (assuming that she's having a bad day) but that she had no movement in her ball. They went straight down the middle. Yes, we're a very average A division TB team and every single one of her pitches hit our bats. Final score 21-1. The team was a cocky little bunch. Our parents heard their parents say to their coach before the game... "We're going to win this one, right?" They didn't stick around after the game. Got in their cars and drove off. Reality sure sucks, doesn't it? lol!

Yes, I'm gloating. :p