Infielder's Throwing Sidearm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What if they always throw side arm? I have one that throws okay but it's always side arm. I've heard its bad for shoulder and I've seen it cause bad throws so I usually coach them to throw over hand.

I didn't know that players should throw side arm ever. This is news to me (really). Btw she is not second base material.

Sorry to hijack the post but thought it fit in with the topic.

What I have found is that when you have a SS or 3B that throws sidearm they can usually pull it off throwing to first. That is because some of their forward momentum is toward the target. Now give them a slow roller and have them throw to 2nd base to initiate the double play. That is usually pretty ugly and a disaster. I have seen very few players throw exclusively sidearm with any consistency. To me it is a skill best reserved for when there is no other option.

Jun 7, 2013
What if they always throw side arm? I have one that throws okay but it's always side arm. I've heard its bad for shoulder and I've seen it cause bad throws so I usually coach them to throw over hand.

I didn't know that players should throw side arm ever. This is news to me (really). Btw she is not second base material.

Sorry to hijack the post but thought it fit in with the topic.

I've been throwing sidearm (mostly overhand though) my whole life and still can throw sidearm without any problem. Like someone else said, it's a matter of doing it correctly.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When playing second base there isn't a need to throw sidearm on a ball hit directly at you. If you are bending at the waist to field the ball on the ground you need to throw it BEFORE you stand up. While this make look side arm you to an observer you have to come over the top with the throw as you are at a 45 degree angle already (at the waist).

If you throw side arm from the fielding position it will be a circus. If you stand up to throw side arm you are too slow.

You might justify a sidearm throw on a deep backhand but this is a rare play as you shouldn't be using a backhand anyways.
what do you mean by, you shouldn't be using a backhand anyways?

Jun 7, 2013
Because of the negative feedback I've received on teaching my daughters to throw sidearm, I've watched DI softball carefully and have counted the times that I thought if a girl threw sidearm she would have gotten an out. In some games I've counted three times that I thought if the player threw sidearm instead of standing up all the way and throwing overhand they could have gotten the hitter out. This is, actually, quite significant.

In MLB games we all know those guys, selectively, throw sidearm.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Because of the negative feedback I've received on teaching my daughters to throw sidearm, I've watched DI softball carefully and have counted the times that I thought if a girl threw sidearm she would have gotten an out. In some games I've counted three times that I thought if the player threw sidearm instead of standing up all the way and throwing overhand they could have gotten the hitter out. This is, actually, quite significant.

In MLB games we all know those guys, selectively, throw sidearm.

Have made the same observation. Should be another tool in the tool box.

Dec 3, 2008
"Side arm" is all about tilt. If they're standing straight up and have the time/space, they ought to be throwing normal. If it's a 2bman fielding off her right foot and swaying to throw, her body tilt will give her more of a quick, side arm-looking throw. If the SS is running through a ball and throwing on the run, her shoulders are already open to 1B and therefore her tilt and weight shift (being on her right foot and falling off that direction) will force her into a more side arm looking throw. Agree above; it's one of many tools one should have. But "side arm" done correctly isn't a change of mechanics as much as it is a change in tilt and weight distribution.

May 17, 2012
what do you mean by, you shouldn't be using a backhand anyways?

Count the number of "real" backhands that result in an out at the next tournament you are at. I am not talking about backhands that were the result of lazy footwork.

And I did say rarely, not never.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What's your opinion on throwing sidearm? I've heard some coaches say never do it and others say that on certain plays you get a lot more outs because it's a quicker release.

I overheard a college coach at a skills showcase say that she could identify all of the MIF from CA by their throwing motion. They are all being taught to stay low and throw sidearm.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I overheard a college coach at a skills showcase say that she could identify all of the MIF from CA by their throwing motion. They are all being taught to stay low and throw sidearm.

Standing up and straightening to throw overhand takes time that may not be available, particularly at higher levels. Being able to stay low and throw from different release points separates average and excellent IF defenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi