Spin rate and Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I now think that late break is possible for the curve ball. The ball won't pick up any RPM but the trajectory will change and if the spin axis is aligned correctly this makes it possible that the ball will curve more at the end of it's flight. It's the Grand Canyon scenario that I talked about earlier. If a pitcher throws a curve with the spin axis tipped about 30 degrees toward the plate for the first half of the ball's flight the air flow will create a bullet spin effect because the trajectory will be slightly upwards. As the ball loses speed and begins to drop the air flow will change resulting in an increase in the Magnus effect, increasing movement. For a rise and a drop there might be less break at the end but this is where you get into the Magnus effect vs Velocity/enertia.

Seam shifted wake movement would also be effected by the changing air flow that results from the degrading trajectory of the ball
That video of the slow pitch pitcher having break on the Downward Arc of the ball comes to mind.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Do not understand ball begins to break as soon as it released.
Read the article, and you will find it explained quite quickly. In summary, the brain cannot detect the break until the pitch is far enough away from the hand that it appears to be breaking late.

Sep 13, 2021
Frequently, when my daughter gets hyped up, whether it's because she's going against a team she really wants to beat or whatever, she tends to overthrow, which flattens out her movement pitches, and she gets hit more and gets a lot less swing and miss. For her, there is definitely something to the "throwing slower produces more movement" thing.

May 17, 2012
Do not understand ball begins to break as soon as it released.

As our good friend Allan Nathon explained, "The break is actually continuous, starting from when the ball is released. However, in this case, the break was so little that the ball did not show any appreciable deviation from a straight line until the point of no return."

In other words, the break is continuous but only deviates from the path of a typical curve in the last part of the pitch and appears to "break late" even though it didn't.

Or as I explain to parents a late break is a breaking pitch that didn't move enough.

Sep 19, 2018
Read the article, and you will find it explained quite quickly. In summary, the brain cannot detect the break until the pitch is far enough away from the hand that it appears to be breaking late.

That is playing with words to suit his needs like he is in the "Technical Hitting" Forum. The truth is that as a hitter, we will be able to pick up the change in direction in some pitches earlier than other pitches. By his definition, it is late in both cases. But by functional definition of a hitter, the one that is harder to pick up, breaks later and the other one does not.

Sep 19, 2018
Or as I explain to parents a late break is a breaking pitch that didn't move enough.
If it didn't move enough, that is called a hanger that gets hammered. If it breaks too early, it is a roller (David Cone Term) that gets hammered. If it is break late, it is a good pitch.

Understanding that according to the article there is no such thing as late break, only when the hitter is able to perceive the change in direction.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In some cases, as pitchers throw harder, they lose axis and sometimes control. Finding that sweet zone of spot, speed and spin is the key. I don’t think that ever means you don’t work to increase each of these, but use your best stuff at game time.

I agree that, like effective velocity, there is perceived late break. Otherwise, if the brain recognized every arch perfectly, there would be fewer swings and misses. Even the rise—while I know it never jumps above the initial trajectory, my eyes will tell you otherwise!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I’d also add that pitches like the rise, curve and change can be spun faster without an increase in speed. The whip energy is transferred to the outside of the ball rather than through it (hope that makes sense…)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414