Correcting pitcher during game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
Just make sure that when the game is over and you’re driving home the corrections end. You are to only say I loved watching you play today.
We also do not say anything about softball on the way home that is negative. We do try to make corrections of what we seen during the tournament. We however do not do it until the next day.

Jan 25, 2022
Mine didn't start until she was almost 12, but any time she needed a reminder I used a key word or physical signal that we worked out ahead of time. I didn't want anyone to know she was being corrected in the circle. It can be something like "you got it" or "let's go kid." I used to call her name and I'd slap my thigh. They would mean something unrelated. And then sometimes I would just yell "front side!" if she was collapsing.

Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. And sometimes she would tell me she never heard a word of it...lol. Now that she's in high school I just sit behind the fence and shut up. I said a couple things to her freshman year but she knows there are only a couple flaws that will push the pitch out of the zone, and can do a mental checkup on herself.

Feb 25, 2020
I think you shouldn't say anything to them during a game from the dugout about mechanics. Go out there and talk to them if you really need to say something. During the game they should be competing. Focused on trying to get the batters out/win the game. Worrying about mechanics takes them out of that mentality.

If the mechanics aren't there, take note for practice. If they're not getting it done, take them out of the game. It should not be that big of a deal.

Feb 24, 2024
Hi everyone, I was wondering when the best time to tell our pitchers they need to correct something during a game.

After the inning? After the game? During the inning?

The thing is my daughter does things mostly right when we're practicing at home or she's just throwing to her catcher...but as soon as a batter is in the box, she just loses focus and I think it's because she doesn't want to hit the batter (which is completely understandable).

She can physically throw great so I think it's all mental when she breaks down with a batter in the box. I don't want to put extra pressure on her, but at the same time I don't want her to form bad habits. Typically I'll say something like "that was a good throw, but let's finish tall." It's never anything in a harsh tone, but at the same time I don't want to feel like she needs to rely on me to correct her.
Say nothing at all. After the game, praise her for being brave enough to get in the circle and compete. Pitching is a motor skill and as with any motor skill, nothing you say during, before or after will change her performance. What we need to understand is that the only way to fix any motor skill is to create a new motor skill. Drills, gadgets, etc. are a waste of time and money. Find a professional pitching coach that understands this neuroscience approach.

Say nothing at all. After the game, praise her for being brave enough to get in the circle and compete. Pitching is a motor skill and as with any motor skill, nothing you say during, before or after will change her performance. What we need to understand is that the only way to fix any motor skill is to create a new motor skill. Drills, gadgets, etc. are a waste of time and money. Find a professional pitching coach that understands this neuroscience approach.
I think you shouldn't say anything to them during a game from the dugout about mechanics. Go out there and talk to them if you really need to say something. During the game they should be competing. Focused on trying to get the batters out/win the game. Worrying about mechanics takes them out of that mentality.

If the mechanics aren't there, take note for practice. If they're not getting it done, take them out of the game. It should not be that big of a deal.
This past game I did a little bit of leaning correction, wasn't every pitch. Just called out "giraffe" to make sure she finishes tall. Next game she's in I'll try the not say anything method (aside from cheering). I'm definitely willing to try different approaches to help her and see what works best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles